Thursday, April 07, 2011

Review: Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt

Title: Sean Griswold's Head
Author: Lindsey Leavitt
Release Date: March 1, 2011
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Overall: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee I loved it!!!!
According to her guidance counselor, fifteen-year-old Payton Gritas needs a focus object—an item to concentrate her emotions on. It's supposed to be something inanimate, but Payton decides to use the thing she stares at during class: Sean Griswold's head. They've been linked since third grade (Griswold-Gritas—it's an alphabetical order thing), but she's never really known him.


The focus object is intended to help Payton deal with her father's newly diagnosed multiple sclerosis. And it's working. With the help of her boy-crazy best friend Jac, Payton starts stalking—er, focusing on—Sean Griswold . . . all of him! He's cute, he shares her Seinfeld obsession (nobody else gets it!) and he may have a secret or two of his own.

In this sweet story of first love, Lindsey Leavitt seamlessly balances heartfelt family moments, spot-on sarcastic humor, and a budding young romance.
Review: I’ve heard nothing but good things about Lindsey Leavitt’s writing. First it was Princess for Hire and now Sean Griswold’s Head. I’m happy to say that I’ve joined this group of people. Leavitt’s writing is fresh, witty, fun, and just her own and I loved Sean Griswold’s Head.

Multiple sclerosis is no joking matter and I wondered how Leavitt would handle this subject. I’ve noticed that when books have focuses like such diseases, they have these two distinguished ways of going: 1) either it’s very fluffy and not very focused on the disease itself or 2) its very serious, very informative about the disease. Sean’s Head wasn’t like either, but rather a mix. While there were funny parts, there were serious parts as well. I think Leavitt managed to tell the story of a girl and her acceptance of her father’s disease while she was in high school.

I think Lindsey Leavitt has a very interesting writing style. She has characters with funny, realistic voices but sometimes, these voices become more mature and serious. She works these stylistic voice changes very well into the plot line. I really loved all of the random notes and entries from Payton’s journal. Payton has a very quirky personiality and it was shown through Leavitt’s writing. Sure there were some cliché moments but they didn’t come off too clichéd or too forced, if you know what I mean. All in all, I really liked Leavitt’s writing style.

From the first page of the book, I knew I was going to like Payton. She had such a quirky, sarcastic voice and she was so likable. I could relate to her too, especially when I was a freshman in high school. Jac, her best friend was over the top sometimes and she irked me so much! But the thing is, she’s so like a teenager in high school. She reminded me of me and my friends. Sean was such an adorable guy. He really was a great friend and one of those book boyfriends that you just can’t help but love! Her relationship with Sean is one of my most favorite parts of the books. It’s like how any girl would feel when she begins to fall for a guy, who was well, always there.

Not only that, but I loved the other characters too! Grady the Goth added in so much humor, as did Payton’s brother Trent and many of the other characters. Honestly, my main complain is what her parents did. They should have told her about her father’s disease and it irked me so much throughout the book. Sure parents mess up and Payton’s parents are trying to make up for it, but still…

Overall, it was a great book! It was mainly a romance and coming of age story, but the seriousness was a good bit. It really showed what could happen in life and it was all a perfect mix! You have to read this book!



Plot: 4.png Four Stars image by Adaleelee
Characters: 4.png Four Stars image by Adaleelee
Ending: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee
Writing: 4.png Four Stars image by Adaleelee
Cover: 5.png Five Stars image by Adaleelee

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo Kaila I'm so glad you liked it! This was definitely a cute novel :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm seeing reviews for this book everywhere. And most people are really loving it. I might need to find it and read it now! Thanks for the review. - Kate

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS