Sunday, June 12, 2011

Review: Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1) by Beth Revis

Title: Across the Universe
Series: Across the Universe #1
Author: Beth Revis
Release Date: January 2011
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Library
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.


Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.


Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.
Review:I just finished Beth Revis’ debut novel Across the Universe and it's not what I had expected, both in a good and bad way. I’ve read numerous good reviews about this book. After reading them, I was looking forward to reading it. I began this book knowing that it was going to be good but I was wholly surprised. First, it took me a good 80+ pages to actually get into the book. Even after I was pulled in, I continued to have issues with this book.

Amy one of our protags, begins this book off in a very interesting way. As the story continues, though, her acts like a little kid sometimes. I’m sure that if I wake up on a spaceship not knowing anything, I’d freak too. Elder, our other protga has a really bad introduction. Honestly, his introduction was really random. I would have liked more descriptions and thoughts before he began speaking. He makes a lot of mistakes throughout this novel that really bug me. His constantly disobeys Eldest but then goes right back to listening to him. I think Elder really needed to figure out where he stood. I did like reading from both of their perspective because while some things they did bugged me, other things weren’t so bad. I loved Harley though! He had real heart and a really sad story. He’s an incredible artist and I grew to respect him.

The twist and turns of this novel kept me reading on. At almost 400 pages, it's quite a lengthy book so finding something that kept my attention was important. The mystery of who wanted to kill Amy and everything else thats going on kept my wanting more. The overly controlled environment of Godspeed was kind of scary and weird. But then again, that's sci-fi. There was some dystopian in this book but it wasn't as pronounced as I would have liked. There was some romance in this novel but it wasn't the main focus and there wasn't much talk about it throughput the novel.
Honestly, though, Beth has amazing writing ability. It was hard to read this book but her writing surprised me. There weren't as many descriptions as I would have liked BUT there was a sort of lyrical feeling to her writing.
Overall: 4/5
Cover Comments: 5/5 I love this cover sooo much! It's probably one of the best of 2011!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS