Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Review: The Liar Society by Lisa and Laura Roecker

Title: The Liar Society
Series: The Liar Society #1
Author: Lisa and Laura Roecker
Release Date: March 1 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Source: Library
Kate Lowry didn't think dead best friends could send e-mails. But when she gets an e-mail from Grace, she’s not so sure.

To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
Sent: Sun 9/14 11:59 PM
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)

Kate,
I'm here…
sort of.
Find Cameron.
He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell.
They'll hurt you.

Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. But secrets haunt the halls of her elite private school. Secrets people will do anything to protect. Even if it means getting rid of the girl trying to solve a murder...
Review: WOW.
I just finished this book and all I can say is WOW.

I really can’t believe how good this book was! I wasn’t expecting on spending my day reading this book because I couldn’t put it down. But that’s what happened. Lisa and Laura Roecker’s The Liar Society has to be one of the best books I’ve read all year! A 358 paged novel that caught my attention on the first page and latterly didn’t let it go until the very last page, The Liar Society was one heck of a murder mystery novel with so much more!

First, the characters! Kate was really awesome. She felt so real to me that I was astounded by the authors writing ability. Not a lot of authors can get a teen voice so accurate but Lisa and Laure sure as heck did. I loved reading all about Kate and her family and her friends and everything that had happened leading up to Grace’s death and the present time. Kate was a butt kicking, pear wearing, detective who got scared and mad and went swoony when a hot guy talked to her. Kate was real. Liam, Seth, Grace, Maddie, Kate’s parents and all the other characters really helped shape this story into the masterpiece that it is!

I guessed that Grace couldn’t be the one sending Kate the e-mails (though I did doubt this at one point; it could’ve been a ghost novel?) but what really happened was really unexpected. All the twists and turns and surprises in the plot made it so amazing. I could tell that it was really, really thought out because right when I felt I knew what had happened, something changed and threw my solutions in the trash. I literally kept guessing at what happened until I read about it. Basically, the plot was so good that you figured things out as Kate and her friends figured them out. Sure, there were some things that were quiet obvious but others, they just made you more anxious to find out more.

I really, really loved Pemberly Brown! It felt like a character of its own with all of the background information and the descriptions that the authors put in about this place! I would have loved to go to this school with all the different buildings and all the Latin messages, which, really, was such a great inclusion!

Overall, Lisa and Laura Roecker wrote a novel that I wasn’t sure I was going to like or not but I fell in love with it. They had amazing characterization, their plot was fantastic, and this book really is a masterpiece. I can’t wait to see what else these sisters have in store for us! Namely, The Liar Society Book 2!


Overall: 5/5
Cover Comments: 5/5 A girl with pink hair, pearls, and a uniform?! That's unique, unexpected, and awesome!

1 comment:

  1. aww man I nearly added this to my amazon order last night and changed my mind... I wish I had got it now! oh well, next time!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS