Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Review: The Reckoning (The Darkest Powers # 3) by Kelly Armstrong

Title: The Reckoning
Series: The Darkest Powers # 3
Author: Kelly Armstrong
Release Date: April 6, 2010
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: Library
My name is Chloe Saunders. I’m fifteen, and I would love to be normal.
But normal is one thing I’m not.

For one thing, I’m having these feelings for a certain antisocial werewolf and his sweet-tempered brother–who just happens to be a sorcerer–but, between you and me, I’m leaning toward the werewolf.


Not normal.


My friends and I are also on the run from an evil corporation that wants to get rid of us…permanently.


Definitely not normal.


And finally, I’m a genetically altered necromancer who can raise the dead, rotting corpses and all, without even trying.


As far away from normal as it gets.
Review: The Reckoning begins right where The Awakening left off so it’s important to read this series IN ORDER. Don’t skip ahead because you’re going to get very confused. That said, I want to add that I think the people, especially Dr. Davidoff, in the Edison Group are creepy. What they do and say and experiment on is just like what the heck?! In this book, the final of the trilogy, I really felt that they were creepy people. All the people who died and for what reasons? Yikes.


There were some problems I had with this book and that would be the whole never-ending-cat-and-mouse-chase going on. I get that the Edison Group are the bad guys and everything but it wall all too repetitive for me. I wanted something new, something fresh to really capture my attention. My attention was lost quite a lot because the lack of newness.


The ending did not satisfy me at all. Chloe got the guy who I was rooting for and I loved that BUT after finishing the book, I felt like I hadn’t gotten a closure. People die and most of the main characters are safe but it still felt unfinished. More is supposed to happen from the feel of the end but I know that these three books are the only ones with Chloe narrating. I’m not sure if The Gathering will have cameos from Chloe, Tori, Simon and Derek but it still doesn’t, to me, finish their story. Does that make any sense?


I loved Kelley’s writing though and I kept reading on. Honestly, though, it was the romance that I loved about this book. I loved it all. There was so much sexual tension going on in this book that I could slice it with a knife. I loved all of it though because what I wanted to happen in the end FINALLY HAPPENED.


Overall, I didn’t like this book very much. The first two were my favorites. I also didn't feel that I got any closure with the characters and the plot line.


Overall: 3/5
Cover Comments: 4/5 I like the constant pendants and the model and the font for the titles.

1 comment:

  1. I read this series some time ago and it didn't satisfy as much as I hope it would. I liked the characters but like you said, the never-ending chasing scene grew old pretty easily. The ending also didn't feel like an ending at all. Frustrating!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS