Thursday, June 30, 2011

Review: Scat by Carl Hiaasen

Title: Scat
Author: Carl Hiaasen
Release Date: January 27, 2009
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Source: Won
Bestselling author and columnist Carl Hiaasen returns with another hysterical mystery for kids set in Florida's Everglades.


Bunny Starch, the most feared biology teacher ever, is missing. She disappeared after a school field trip to Black Vine Swamp. And, to be honest, the kids in her class are relieved.
But when the principal tries to tell the students that Mrs. Starch has been called away on a "family emergency," Nick and Marta just don't buy it. No, they figure the class delinquent, Smoke, has something to do with her disappearance.


And he does! But not in the way they think. There's a lot more going on in Black Vine Swamp than any one player in this twisted tale can see. And Nick and Marta will have to reckon with an eccentric eco-avenger, a stuffed rat named Chelsea, a wannabe Texas oilman, a singing substitute teacher, and a ticked-off Florida panther before they really begin to see the big picture.


That's life in the swamp, kids.
Review: People say that with authors who write mainly stand alone books, the author’s first book tends to be strong. Though I enjoyed his first two books a lot, I wasn’t sure what I was gonna get with Scat! I knew three things before I began: 1) Florida would be the setting 2) an endangered species would be the main focus and 3) people were going to help protect this species.


Scat, honestly, fell flat for me and I was super disappointed in this fact. The characters, like Nick and Marta weren’t there for me. They were rather flat with not a lot of emotions and actions. Unlike his other characters in his other books, I don’t think Mr. Hiaasen was able to capture their minds. Marta, actually, got on my nerves so much that I wanted to just go in there and slap her.


The dialogue didn’t cut it for me a times. It felt too forced and…unrealistic.
And what the heck was the whole Nick-and-Marta-might-be-in-love-and-they-share-a-moment-yet-nothing-really-happens? That made me mad and annoyed.


Another thing? Hoot and Flush, though they shared the three things I listed at the beginning, had differentiation but this book felt too repetitive for me.


I will admit that I fell in love with Florida all over again but not as much as I did in his previous books. I didn’t enjoy this book as much as I had hoped to love it but I still say that people should give it a chance.


Overall: 2/5
Cover Comments: 1/5 I like the meaning of it but I just didn't appeal to me. At all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS