Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Review: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2) by Rachel Hawkins

Title: Demonglass
Series: Hex Hall #2
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Release Date: March 1 2011
Publisher: Hyperion Books CH
Source: Library
Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.


Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.


But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?
Review: I really loved Hex Hall but I hadn’t loved where it had ended. I had so many questions about the characters and what was going to happen next, and Archer Cross was a bad guy!? Demonglass pulled me in from the very beginning, but I was a little skeptical about the book. By the end of it, though, my jaws dropped at it’s unexpected ending.


Along with the new and old characters came the witty, funny, and sometimes annoying banter. I loved all of it though! Sophie came back once again with a mission on her mind. She’s in a new place and is having a hard time adjusting to her new found powers but she remained herself throughout.

The plot was really great, though repetitive at times, with new characters that are really mysterious and creepy, and the twists and turns that Rachel Hawkins was able to incorporate into this book.

I love romance in any book but it has to be good romance. Rachel Hawkins’s romance was good…but I felt that it fell flat sometimes. It would be really cheesy or really weird but I liked it overall. I was glad to see my favorite guy back BUT the one thing that made me iffy the most was the new guy in Sophie’s life (CAL). He’s been around for a while BUT she just throws in an unexpected surprise at the beginning that I was okay with UNTIL the old guy (okay, okay ARCHER) comes back in too. SO basically, there’s a LOVE TRIANGLE IN THIS BOOK. I really wish that there wasn’t and though I’m a sucker for them, I’m tired of them too. Now I really wanna know how Rachel pulls this off!

Back again with her witty, funny banter, Sophie’s newest adventure takes us to England where there are more bad guys and secrets than she can handle.


Overall: 4/5
Cover Comments: 4/5 I really like it but I don't like the black outfit that Sophie (if it's Sophie) is wearing. Besides that, I love the colors, the white dress, and the cat!

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I keep putting this one off as something annoyed me about Hex Hall, but at 4 stars you must have enjoyed it! I agree that sometimes Hawkins romance falls a little flat... I saw that in HH :(

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS