Sunday, August 28, 2011

Review: Old Magic by Marianne Curley

Title: Old Magic
Author: Marianne Curley
Release Date: February 26, 2002
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: Library
Jarrod Thornton is mesmerizing,
but Kate Warren doesn't know why.

The moment the new guy walks into the room, Kate senses something strange and intense about him. Something supernatural. Her instincts are proven correct a few minutes later when, bullied by his classmates, Jarrod unknowingly conjures up a freak thunderstorm inside their classroom.

Jarrod doesn't believe in the paranormal. When Kate tries to convince him that he has extraordinary powers that need to be harnessed, he only puts up with her "hocus pocus" notions because he finds her captivating. However, the dangerous, uncontrolled strengthening of his gift finally convinces Jarrod that he must take Kate's theories seriously. Together, they embark on a remarkable journey—one which will unravel the mystery that has haunted Jarrod's family for generations and pit the teens against immense forces in a battle to undo the past and reshape the future.
Review: My friend recommended this book to me since she and I read some of the same types of books. She reads it every year and I decided I should check it out. With an interesting story line and awesome adventure, Old Magic was a good read.

The plot was the thing that interested me the most in this book. Time travel, romance, magic, it all just sounded really good. And it was! There were surprises, somethings I guessed, and other things were just there.

I did get annoyed with Jarrod not believing Kate when everything was out there in the open but then again, I probably wouldn't have believed her if she'd told me. I also thought that Kate and Jarrod's relationship just kind of...happened. It wasn't as developed as I would have wanted and it was probably because
of everything that was happening in the story.

Overall, the plot and story were full of magic, mystery,and adventure. Though the romance wasn't the best and sometimes the main characters bugged me, I enjoyed this book.

Overall: 4/5
Cover Comments: 3/5 Meh. I like the guy and the girl and all, but I wanted more of the story to be incorporated into the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS