Thursday, June 30, 2011

Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Title: Where She Went
Author: Gayle Forman
Release Date: April 5, 2011
Publisher: Dutton Juvinile
Source: Library
It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.
Review:With her stunning debut, Gayle Forman had caught my attention with If I Stay. Haunting, precise, magnificent, I wanted more to know more about Mia and Adam! What happened to them? When I heard that Gayle was writing a companion novel, I couldn’t wait to read it. Now that I have read it, I’m happy with what I got in Where She Went. Honestly, though, it didn’t have the same captivating affect as If I Stay.

Again, Gayle Forman shows that she’s got a great writing style and voice. This time from Adam’s POV, I worried how she was going to tackle a boy’s find. She did really well, getting out Adam’s feelings with all the flashbacks, but I didn’t connect with him as much as I connected with Mia. I wasn’t sure what it was really but I just didn’t…get him…

I did appreciate all the flashbacks into what happened following the events in If I Stay. I understood better what had happened and why it had happened. The summary says “It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.” And I really wanted to know what the heck was going on.

I felt that If I Stay had ended in the right place and that’s why I guess I was a little disappointed in this book. The feelings are real and true in this book but some of it just annoyed more or made no sense to me. Sometimes I wondered if certain people or events mentioned were important to the plot line or not.

A thoroughly great read, I finished Where She Went once again happy. If anything bugged me about this book, Gayle Forman's writing made up for it.

Overall: 4.5/5
Cover Comments: 4/5 I like the meaning of it but I just didn't appeal to me. At all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS