Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Harry Potter

Almost 13 years ago, on September of 1998, Scholastic Press published a book titled Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by an unknown author named J. K. Rowling. No one knew how the book was going to do. It was just based on an idea that single mother Jo Rowling came up with. Who would read it? Who would like it? No one knew but they took a chance. And it’s because of this chance that these people took that our world got to know the phenomenon that is Harry Potter.

I have always been a big reader but when I hear about a book that everyone loves, I tend to read it after all the hype has died down. I was six when I was introduced to Harry Potter by watching the first film. I loved the movie and I wanted more. Then I heard about the books. Everyone was talking about it and it made me skeptical. So, I waited quiet a long time to read it.

When I picked up book 1, I was blown away. I kept asking myself why I had waited this long to read these books? I loved Harry, Ron, Hermione, the Weasleys, and everyone else. Back then, we all knew that when the 7th and final book would come out, Harry Potter would come to an end. But we still had the movies. Then, when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out, I read that book in about four hours. I’ve never read a book in that much time. Why? I took my time to devour every single word. Every single action. Every single spell. I devoured everything. I cried when I turned the last page and saw the “The End.” It was over.

After watching Deathly Hallows Part 1 in theaters, I couldn’t stomach the fact that after one more movie, it was really going to be the end. No more Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Luna, Neville, Snape, Malfoy and Voldemort. The characters I wanted to meet, to be best friends with, the characters who’ve been with me through everything. I had them when I was in elementary school. I had them with me on my first day of middle school. When I walked into my high school, they were with me. They were with my throughout most of my childhood. The seven book and the eight movies. It would all be over on July 15, 2011.

Harry Potter was part of my childhood. For people my age, Harry Potter was our childhood. Reading about the 11 year old boy who learned he was a wizard. As he grew up, so did I. I leaned from them that being different from everyone else was okay (Ron!). It was okay to stand up for what you believe in (thanks for that one Hermione!) and to stand up for yourself (everyone!). Most of all, Harry, Ron, Hermione and everyone else taught me that it was okay to be me.

In all the books I’ve read, I never once imagined that I would be so heavily invested in any books but the Harry Potter series proved me wrong. In one day, my childhood heroes will fight their last battles. In one day, the book series that changed my life and changed the lives of millions around the world will come to an end.
Jo, I don’t think you’ll ever know how much this series has meant to me. How much it’s influenced me and changed my life for the better. I can say nothing but thank you from the bottom of my heart. You took a chance and shared a world with me that I will always love and be a part of.

Jo said:
"No story lives on unless someone wants to listen. The stories we love best do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home."
And I can’t tell you how true this is. To me, Harry Potter was my past, it's my present, and it'll be part of my future. I will always read these books. I will always love Hogwarts (and I'll wait for my acceptance letter for as long as I have to...until I get it of course!).

All I can say is: Harry Potter, I will always love you and Jo, there aren't enough words in the world than can show you how thankful I am!

Here's a video I've watched that I loved. All seven years, in 4 minutes!

1 comment:

  1. brilliant post! I totally agree, Harry Potter means so much to me and will live on long after the final book and movie are out

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS