Monday, July 18, 2011

Review: The Miles Between by Mary E. Pearson

Title: The Miles Between
Author: Mary E. Pearson
Release Date: September 1, 2009
Publisher: Henry Holt & Company
Source: Library
Destiny Faraday makes a point of keeping her distance from her classmates at Hedgebrook Academy. Her number-one rule: Don’t get attached. But one day, unexpectedly finding a car at their disposal, Destiny and three of her classmates embark on an unauthorized road trip.

They’re searching for one fair day—a day where the good guy wins and everything adds up to something just and right. Their destination: Langdon, a town that Destiny’s unsuspecting companions hope will hold simply a day of fun. But, as Destiny says, “Things are not always what they seem.” Only she knows that Langdon holds far more than that—a deep secret she has never shared with anyone.

The Miles Between explores the wonder andmagic of a very real world where chance, mystery, and secrets abound.
Review: This is the first book I’ve read by Mary E. Pearson. I’ve heard a lot about her book The Adoration of Jenna Fox but I’ve never actually read that one either. So I wasn’t sure what to expect from The Miles Between. The cover was interesting and the summary sounded good too but would the book be good? Yes, yes the book would be good. The Miles Between was my first book my Mary E. Pearson and it sure isn’t going to be the last.

The writing was so perfect. I can’t explain just how much I loved it. The way that Ms. Pearson can string words together surprised and impressed me
to no end. Her writing, to me, had this lyrical feel to it. The words seemed to flow through the pages like a soothing, soft, and gut wrenching song. I just loved it all.

Our protagonist Des (Destiny) was a character with so many layers. She’s had a hard life, especially with the fact that her parents “abandoned” her when she was seven. Since then, she’s been going to different boarding schools. Because of this, Des has a rule she lives by: Don’t get attached. To people. To places. To anything. That’s how she lives her life and that’s how she likes it. It all changes when by coincidence she finds a car with the key out in front of her boarding school, ready to go anywhere. With classmates Seth, Aiden, and Mira, they set out on an adventure going anywhere.

I loved each and every one of these characters. Des had such a deep, sad voice that I felt so bad for her. With everything that she’s gone through, she’s put a wall around her, hiding her emotions. I wanted something good, just one good thing to happen to her. As the story progresses, we learn more about each of the four characters but mostly about Des. We learn about her life and her past. I will say that the truth about Des and her family was something I guessed but the gory details surprised me. It wasn’t what I was expecting but I liked how the story ended.

I’m trying not to ruin the book for anyone so I’ll end by saying that with this short book, Ms. Pearson has astounded me. I will be reading The Adoration of Jenna Fox (which is apparently going to be a movie) very soon!


Overall: 4/5
Cover Comments: 4/5I think it goes very well with the book with all the candles. I like that the title looks like smoke!

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I read this one awhile ago and really enjoyed it as well. Parts of Des' past surprised me too, and the ending definitely is a high point. By you way, you should give The Adoration of Jenna Fox a try ASAP. If you thought this one is good, you're going to LOVE that one!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS