Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday {3}

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish!
This week:

Top Ten Books That Tackle Tough Issues 


Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher: Suicide. It's so beautifully written. Why did she commit suicide? Why didn't anyone notice? Jay Asher putrescent this very tough topic wonderfully.

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson: Rape. Another book that really opened my eyes to topic that I knew existed but didn't know too much about it. It's sad, scary, and amazingly written.

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson: Eating disorders. Laurie Halse Anderson

Sarah Dessen’s: Teen Pregnancy; Obesity; Abusive Boyfriends; Teen Rape; Not Fitting in; and Acceptance.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee: Racism and prejudice. Though I read it for school, I loved this book a lot. I think it's one of the very first books that tackles racism.

Living Dead Girls by Elizabeth Scott: Kidnapping and rape. Though this book is short, it's scary. All the things that can happen with someone is kidnapped.

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler: Loss and grief. I loved everything about this book. After Anna's best friend's brother (and her first love) dies, she must come to terms with her loss and love.

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver: Bullying. Though there is more to this book than just that but bullying is a key point in this story. It really shows what bullying is really like in High school.

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma: Incest. I haven't read this book yet but from what I've read in reviews, it's actually a really good book.

Night by Elie Wiesel: Holocaust. Another book I haven't read but I've heard that it's a great book about the Holocaust. It really shows what the Holocaust is like.

8 comments:

  1. Great list, Kaila. I remember reading Night in high school and wow. That is a book to remember,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thirteen Reasons Why was the top of my list too.

    New follower!!!!

    Please visit my blog and sign-up for my first ever giveaway!

    Anne
    http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speak and 13 are on my list also. Forbidden has gotten my attention.

    My Top Ten

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-ten-books-that-tackle-tough-issues.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks! I chose Wintergirls too.

    Here's my list: http://bit.ly/qJiozA

    ReplyDelete
  5. four of your books i have seen listed on other bloggers book list. to kill a mocking bird is one of my favorites although i went with newer publications for this listing.
    http://sidnebkclubreviewz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had Speak and Wintergirls in common. I can't believe that I forgot Living Dead Girl when I was making my list.

    Reading Lark's Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your list is brilliant. I'm so with you on Speak and Wintergirls :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You listed some very tough reads. A few of those are on my tbr list...

    Here is my Top Ten post!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS