Thursday, August 18, 2011

Review: Hereafter (Hereafter #1) by Tara Hudson

Title: Hereafter
Series: Hereafter #1
Author: Tara Hudson
Release Date: June 7, 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins
Source: Library
Can there truly be love after death?

Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life—or her actual death—she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive.

Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world . . . forever.

Thrilling and evocative, with moments of pure pleasure, Hereafter is a sensation you won't want to miss.
Review: When I first saw that cover and read the synopsis, I knew I had to read the book. It sounded so good and it’s a debut novel! All I can say is what a book!

The plot is very interesting, full of ghosts, ghost seers, and mystery. We begin (as the summary says) with Amelia saving a boy from drowning. He turns out to be the only one who can see her (for some reason). Then begins the search for answers surrounding Amelia and her death. The plot did move a little slow for my taste but the last few chapters were really intense. Usually that bugs me but I liked it with this book.

Amelia was such an interesting character. Usually we read stories about the ghost and not from the ghost so this was a unique twist. We learn more about Amelia and her life and how she died. Amelia’s never known anyone to be able to see her so when she meets Josh and realizes that he can see her, her (after?)life is no longer what it used to be. Josh was a great character, really sweet and likeable and I loved seeing (er, reading) the two of them interact with the other!

There were two things that bugged me: I felt that Josh and Amelia’s relationship happened really fast. It wasn’t really developed enough for me to love it but I wondered when it happened really. And the second thing was the constant name thing. Amelia would say something to Josh (and though it’s obvious she’s saying it to him) she’d add Joshua to the end of the sentence…Like “How are you Joshua?” and “I’m good Amelia.”

Overall, I liked Hereafter a lot. Tara Hudson has great writing ability and I can’t wait to see more from her!


Overall: 3.5/5
Cover Comments: 5/5—It’s SO gorgeous and creepy! The bridge, Amelia, her dress!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE harpers covers! I hate the name thing 2! it's kind of annoying lol Hereafter sounds dark and intriguing enough. can't wait to dive into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read ghost stories (I am a big scaredy-cat), but this one does sound good. The name thing bothers me too, it reminds me of an overzealous salesman.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS