Friday, September 30, 2011

Review: Moonglass by Jessi Kirby

Title: Moonglass
Author: Jessi Kirby
Release Date: May 3, 2002
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Source: Library
From Jessi Kirby, a debut novel about confronting the past in order to move ahead.

I read once that water is a symbol for emotions. And for a while now, I've thought maybe my mother drowned in both.

Anna's life is upended when her father accepts a job transfer the summer before her junior year. It's bad enough that she has to leave her friends and her life behind, but her dad is moving them to the beach where her parents first met and fell in love- a place awash in memories that Anna would just as soon leave under the surface.

While life on the beach is pretty great, with ocean views and one adorable lifeguard in particular, there are also family secrets that were buried along the shore years ago. And the ebb and flow of the ocean's tide means that nothing- not the sea glass that she collects on the sand and not the truths behind Anna's mother's death- stays buried forever.
Review: ***This review is rather discreet. I just finished this novel and I’m not sure what words can convey how much I loved this book without ruining it for you. So, I apologize in advance. ***

First, I love this cover. When I saw it for the first time, I knew I wanted to read this book. And second, I loved the synopsis. From the second I read the title and the synopsis and that it was set on a beach place, I knew it had something to do with sea glass (thank you Twenty Boy Summer for introducing me to sea glass).


I loved this book. It’s (as Sarah Dessen says) “An incredible first novel.” It really, really was. It was so, so sad. Anna is still not over her mother’s death even thought it was ten years ago. She’s trying to come to terms as to why her mother walked into the ocean that night and left, her, seven-year-old Anna, alone on the beach. Throughout this book, Anna tries to get answers in the town where her mother grew up. She meets people who knew her mother and as she learns more and more, she begins to get some answers but she needs more.

This novel was so beautifully written that I didn’t want Anna to get the answers she wanted because I knew that the story would end. Anna is such a strong character as she tries to put on her brave face. The reader can truly see Anna’s feelings and Jessi Kirby does such a masterful job at showing Anna’s feelings and thoughts. Ms. Kirby described the ocean and the town, the people, and everything else in such a great way. I could see myself swimming with Anna in the ocean. I could feel her emotions as she learned more about her mother. My heart broke for her but did a little happy dance when she finally understood everything. And she finally forgave herself.

I’m not sure what else to say about this book without ruining it for you all. All I can say is that I left me breathless. I thought so much about the things in this book. Though it’s about Anna, many of the characters were going through something like what she was going through. Anna realized that she wasn’t alone and it makes you realize that even if you feel all alone about something, you really aren’t. 232 pages of amazingness, I couldn’t put this book down until I read the last line. I read it in one sitting and I know I’ll be thinking about this book for such a long time.

Overall: 5/5
Cover Comments: 5/5—I love this cover! It’s so awesome. I think to get the full affect, you have to hold it in your hands. People, the cover SPARKELS. Not in the ugh way but in the really, really nice way. Like the sand sparking in the sunlight or something. It’s super pretty and adds affect to the cover!

1 comment:

  1. This one was definitely beautifully written, I can't wait to see what Kirby's next novel is like :)

    Great review, Kailia!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS