Monday, August 22, 2011

Review: Once a Witch (Witch #1) by Carolyn MacCullough

Title: Once a Witch
Series: Witch #1
Author: Carolyn MacCullough
Release Date: September 14, 2009
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Source: Library
Tamsin Greene comes from a long line of witches, and she was supposed to be one of the most Talented among them. But Tamsin's magic never showed up. Now seventeen, Tamsin attends boarding school in Manhattan, far from her family. But when a handsome young professor mistakes her for her very Talented sister, Tamsin agrees to find a lost family heirloom for him. The search—and the stranger—will prove to be more sinister than they first appeared, ultimately sending Tamsin on a treasure hunt through time that will unlock the secret of her true identity, unearth the sins of her family, and unleash a power so vengeful that it could destroy them all. This is a spellbinding display of storytelling that will exhilarate, enthrall, and thoroughly enchant.
Review: I was surprised at how much I loved this book. At first, I wasn’t sure how much I would like it. I’d seen this book at the library a lot and I finally decided to read it. I’m super glad I did because I loved this book!

I loved the plot of this book, a lot because of the time traveling bit! It’s fast paced and moves really quickly. As the story progresses, some background is given but only enough to still make you wonder what’s really going on. The good thing about that is that it’s not confusing!

Tamsin Greene is (I guess) the outcast in her family because she’s the only one without a Talent. Ger grandmother predicted that she’d be really powerful but that didn’t pull through. All Tamsin really wants is to belong somewhere, to know who she is and this aspect made it easy for me to connect with her. I enjoyed learning about her family and their Talents though some of her snarky comments got annoying. I liked the other characters, such as Gabriel, a lot!



Overall: 4/5
Cover Comments: 4/5There’s just something about this cover. I’mnot sure if it’s the background or the girl or the book she’s holding but I loveit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS