Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday {4}

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish!
This week: 

Top Ten Trends You Would Like to See More or Less of


More Of:
Historical Fiction WITHOUT Paranormal twist: Why can’t we just have a historical fiction? Say, maybe set during World War II. And how about the girl doesn’t have super powers????

Male Protagonists: I love reading books from the POV of a guy. They're so interesting to see how a guy thinks. Mind you, it should be realistic and not just plain stupid.

Mythology: Though there has been a rise in this in the past year, I need MORE. I love all kinds of mythology so more of them would be great to see.

Diversity: Why can’t the protagonist be Hispanic or Chinese or Indian? We live in a country (I live in the US) that’s so diverse so why don’t we SHOW this in the books?

Tough Topics: Eating disorders, rape, incest, and more of these kinds of topics. They're so much going on these days so why not talk about it? Something like Wintergirls, Speak, or 13 Reasons Why.

International Settings: Anna and the French Kiss people is the BEST example that comes to mind. Not only does Stephanie Perkins have such a great way of describing, JUST the fact that we get to explore a new country sounds awesome.

Less Of:
Vampires: We’ve had enough. Let’s move on now guys. Seriously. That is all I’m going to say.

Love Triangles: WAY too many of these. Let’s face it, NOT all girls have two guys trying to get her attention. I’m sorry if that offends anyone but it’s just not true. AND can I say that there haven’t been (to my knowledge) a two girl, one guy love triangle. That might be interesting! AND to be honest, I don’t know A SINGLE love triangle to exist with my friends. NOT ONE.

Insta Love: This doesn’t happen. It’s not really realistic. Sure, people fall in love over a course of days BUT not instantly (though they say otherwise; we know that’s not how it happened.)

Series (and sometimes, companions): I did an entire post on this. I like it when I can read one book and be satisfied with that book. I usually don’t mind companions but more than one (or two) get on my nerves. Companions like Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door and Isla and the Happily Ever After ARE companions I’d love to read.


4 comments:

  1. I don't mind series. I just wish they were numbered. I hate buying the third in the series on impulse, and not knowing it until I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of more diversity. I definitely don't see enough of it in the books I have been reading lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree with you more! The typical YA book about a white girl worrying about her love life and secret powers needs to change into something more interesting and diverse. Not that that premise can't be (and hasn't been) done well, but it's been done so much! I'd love to see more historical/international settings too.

    Here's my Top Ten List

    ReplyDelete
  4. Male Protagonists is a great answer, especially in YA. Young men need to read too!

    Check out my list at The Scarlet Letter.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS