Friday, October 07, 2011

Review: Betrayal (Haunting Emma #2) by Lee Nichols

Title: Betrayal
Series: Haunting Emma #2
Author: Lee Nichols
Release Date: May 3, 2002
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Source: Author (for Review)

Emma Vaile is the most powerful ghostkeeper in centuries. Which is great when she's battling the wraith-master Neos, but terrible when she's flirting with fellow ghostkeeper (and soul mate) Bennett. When ghostkeepers fall in love, the weaker one loses all power, and that's not something Bennett can handle. Heartbroken and alone, Emma tries to lose herself in school with fellow ghostkeeper Natalie. When a new team of ghostkeepers arrive-one a snarky teen boy, the other a British scholar-Emma finds solace in training for the battle against Neos. But as the team grows stronger, they are threatened by an unknown force. One they thought was good. As chilling and page-turning as Deception, this sequel will grab readers and hold them to the last page. No one is safe from suspicion as Emma closes in on the traitor.
Review: As soon as I finished Deception, the first book in this series, I just had to read the next book. I really wanted to know more about Emma, Neos, Bennett and all the other ghosts. Though I felt that this book was somewhat reparative from the first book, I enjoyed it none the less.

After the ending in Deception, Betrayal was going to have some surprises and answers. The plot thickens when new characters come into the picture, Neos gets stronger and Bennett leaves. This is all BTW from the synopsis so I knew all of this was going to happen. How, it happened though, I didn’t have a clue and I liked that. A lot of the plot was revealed as the story progressed and it made it easier to get into the story. Again, some of the plot seemed like the first book but it didn’t bug me as much!

Emma was back as our snarky, funny, and very teenagerly protagonist. Poor girl’s life seems to get even worse and confusing than ever before! Add on some more surprises and twists and you’ve got Betrayal! I was afraid that this book was going to focus a lot on Emma and Bennett’s relationship but I’m happy that the ghosts continued to play their significant roles! I will admit, the person who betrays them was one that I didn’t even guess.

Once again with a quirky protagonist, an interesting plot, ghosts, a cute guy, and more, Betrayal didn’t disappoint and I hope to continue the adventure in Surrender!



Overall: 4.5/5
Cover Comments: 3/5—The look on the girl’s face is just creepy as is the guy! And their postures and position in the cover is just…no.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS