Monday, October 17, 2011

Review: Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst

Title: Drink, Slay, Love
Author: Sarah Beth Durst
Release Date: September 13, 2011
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Source: Author (for Review)

Pearl is a sixteen-year-old vampire... fond of blood, allergic to sunlight, and mostly evil... until the night a sparkly unicorn stabs her through the heart with his horn. Oops.

Her family thinks she was attacked by a vampire hunter (because, obviously, unicorns don't exist), and they're shocked she survived. They're even more shocked when Pearl discovers she can now withstand the sun. But they quickly find a way to make use of her new talent. The Vampire King of New England has chosen Pearl's family to host his feast. If Pearl enrolls in high school, she can make lots of human friends and lure them to the King's feast -- as the entrees.

The only problem? Pearl's starting to feel the twinges of a conscience. How can she serve up her new friends—especially the cute guy who makes her fangs ache—to be slaughtered? Then again, she's definitely dead if she lets down her family. What's a sunlight-loving vamp to do?
Review: While I loved Ice and Enchanted Ivy by Sarah, I wasn’t sure how this book was going to turn out. It sounded epic and I loved the title, but she’d only written good fantasy before. Would I like this new book? Yes, yes I would. Drink, Slay, Love was a fun, well written, engaging book!

I loved Pearl. She was so snarky and badass with no drama. She’s like a normal vampire, sucking blood from people in town (especially Brad, the guy who works at the ice cream shop) and hiding during the day from the sun. When a unicorn stabs her in the heart, she suddenly finds herself able to walk in the sun, have a reflection and worse of all, a conscience! She is genuinely confused and often found herself having thoughts that she wouldn’t normally think about, say when she’s about to bite into a human, she hesitates! I loved that she was herself and that in the end (and throughout the novel) she was herself and didn’t change (she did change for the better though!) for anyone.

The other characters in this novel were just as awesome as Pearl and I was so happy to know that they had a big part in the plot! Bethany was such a great girl and I loved her from the beginning. Her relationship with Pearl from the beginning was really awesome too. Pearl, no matter how much she tried to hide it, had a best friend! The two “vampire hunters” were totally awesome and hilarious. I LOVED Evan. He was such a genuine nice guy and he really cared about Pearl and he seemed realistic. AND their relationship started on as friends and then steadily grew to being more, like it should have!

Overall, I loved this book and I can’t believe I doubted Sarah Beth Durst’s ability to tell a good (awesome) story! She has yet to disappoint me in any of her books! Full of hilarious dialogue, great writing and a kickass protagonist, Drink, Slay, Love was a fun, entertaining read!


Overall: 5/5
Cover Comments: 3/5—Could have been sooo much better! I really am not the biggest fan of this cover... It's just a little creepy BUT I do love the red and okay, yes, it should be creepy since we're talking about the regular, blood-sucking vampires, but again, I wanted more!

1 comment:

  1. I've only seen good reviews for this book and have had it on my WL since it came out. It just sounds AMAZING! Seeing another rave review just makes me want it more!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS