Monday, October 10, 2011

Review: Remembrance by Michelle Madow

Title: Remembrance
Author: Michelle Madow
Release Date: July 27, 2011
Publisher: Dreamscape Publishing
Source: Author (for Review)

New Hampshire high school junior Lizzie Davenport has been reincarnated from Regency Era, England ... but she doesn't know it yet.

Then Drew Carmichael transfers into Lizzie's school at the beginning of the year, and she feels a connection to him, almost like she knows him. She can't stop thinking about him, but whenever she tries talking with him about the mysteries behind her feelings, he makes it clear that he wants nothing to do with her. Reaching him is even more difficult because she has a boyfriend, Jeremy, who has started to become full of himself after being elected co-captain of the varsity soccer team, and her flirtatious best friend Chelsea starts dating Drew soon after his arrival. So why can't she seem to get him out of her mind?

Even though Lizzie knows she should let go of her fascination with Drew, the pair of them soon find that fighting fate isn't going to be easy.
Review: I really loved the cover for this book and I liked that it was inspired by one of my favorite Taylor Swift songs. Remembrance is a strong, well-written book by debut author Michelle Madow about true love and consequences and if people really do change or not.

The plot revolves around Lizzie and how her life changes after a new guy, Drew, moves into town. She feels like she knows him and random thoughts and images keep coming into her mind out of nowhere and Lizzie wants to know why. As soon as he comes into her life, she beings to draw people and a certain girl and speaks French perfectly. After Lizzie realizes what’s going on, she embarks on an adventure to find out who she was in the past and what is going on now.

Lizzie was a great character who felt really realistic to me. I appreciated that about Michelle’s writing. I could see Lizzie and Chelsea as one of my friends. She was strong willed and knew what she wanted but she didn’t want to hurt anyone. After her break up with Jeremy, I was so happy that she wasn’t getting back with him right away. Jeremy reminded me of a guy I would meet at my school, the arrogant, annoying self obsessed athlete. Lizzie’s best friend annoyed me at times and there were certain things she did that annoyed me a lot. Drew was a character who I didn’t know how I felt about him. While he obviously liked Lizzie, he didn’t treat her like he should have treated her. I got the whole love thing but I really wish Lizzie wouldn’t forgive him for it easily.

Overall, Michelle Madow demonstrated really good writing skills. There wasn’t a time in the single book where I felt confused about what was happening. Her writing was precise, to the point and her choice of words made this story move along really well. I can’t wait to read more from the author!

Overall: 4.5/5
Cover Comments: 4.5/5
—I just love the mask and the girl and the look on her face. It works really with the story but I wish the font for the title was different.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS