Monday, October 31, 2011

Review: Sisterhood Everlasting (TSotTP #5) by Ann Brashares

Title: Sisterhood Everlasting
Series: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants #5
Author: Ann Brashares
Release Date: June 14, 2011
Publisher: Random House
Source: Library

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Ann Brashares comes the welcome return of the characters whose friendship became a touchstone for a generation. Now Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget have grown up, starting their lives on their own. And though the jeans they shared are long gone, the sisterhood is everlasting.

Despite having jobs and men that they love, each knows that something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn’t take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can’t seem to shed her old restlessness.

Then Tibby reaches out to bridge the distance, sending the others plane tickets for a reunion that they all breathlessly await. And indeed, it will change their lives forever—but in ways that none of them could ever have expected.

As moving and life-changing as an encounter with long-lost best friends, Sisterhood Everlasting is a powerful story about growing up, losing your way, and finding the courage to create a new one.
Review: I was worried a lot about this book. While I’ve enjoyed The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books, I wasn’t sure how Ms. Brashares was going to tackle a 5th book. But she did.

I didn’t hate this book but I didn’t love it completely either. I liked seeing how Lena, Carmen, Bridget, and Tibby had grown up and what they were up to now. I instantly knew something was going to change in Tibby’s story because she wasn’t in the book as much as the other girls. The plot line, honestly, was well thought out. Like always, I got a feeling that Ann Brashers knew what she wanted to happen to all of her characters.

We meet some new characters and see some of our old favorites! Got once, Lena actually annoyed me. She was way too mopey and over thinking everything. Sometimes she acted like a teenager. But the ending for Lena was just perfect. Bridget’s life changes and she has a hard time handling it. To me, Bridget grew a lot as a character because in the beginning, she was constantly moving from one place to another. In the end, she finally isn’t scared to settles down. I also like who she ends up with! Carmen, poor girl, though successful, didn’t really know if it was what she wanted. She constantly felt that she had to be someone else, someone besides her real self. She did grow out of it but I think Carmen represented so many people who have that little thing in them, questioning what they want. Overall I think a certain incident in the beginning changed their lives in a way none of them expected. It made the strong, true to themselves and I think the girls began to see who they really were. In the end, I think all the girls ended up where they wanted to.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. I loved being back with all the girls and the characters I love and seeing how things changed for them! There was an incident (basically the turning point) that I didn’t care for and thought it was unnecessary!



Overall: 4/5
Cover Comments: 2/5—Meh. There is just something about this cover that I don’t like at all. I don’t think this represents this book really well.

1 comment:

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS