Thursday, October 20, 2011

Review: Uncommon Criminals (Hesit Society #2) by Ally Carter

Title: Uncommon Criminals
Series: Hesit Society #2
Author: Ally Carter
Release Date: June 21, 2011
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Source: Library
Katarina Bishop has worn a lot of labels in her short life life. Friend. Niece. Daughter. Thief. But for the last two months she’s simply been known as the girl who ran the crew that robbed the greatest museum in the world. That’s why Kat isn’t surprised when she’s asked to steal the infamous Cleopatra Emerald so it can be returned to its rightful owners.

There are only three problems. First, the gem hasn’t been seen in public in thirty years. Second, since the fall of the Egyptian empire and the suicide of Cleopatra, no one who holds the emerald keeps it for long, and in Kat’s world, history almost always repeats itself. But it’s the third problem that makes Kat’s crew the most nervous and that is simply… the emerald is cursed.

Kat might be in way over her head, but she’s not going down without a fight. After all she has her best friend—the gorgeous Hale—and the rest of her crew with her as they chase the Cleopatra around the globe, dodging curses, realizing that the same tricks and cons her family has used for centuries are useless this time.

Which means, this time, Katarina Bishop is making up her own rules.
Review: I’d been a fan of Ally Carter’s work ever since I read The Gallagher Girls books. When I read Heist Society, I was blow away by her ability to tell an action story with a girl hero. When I heard about Uncommon Criminals, I was ever more excited to read it! Would it be as good as Heist Society? It was better. Uncommon Criminals was full of action, danger, history, and even some romance. It’s a fun, wild roller coaster ride that once again takes you all over the world in an unforgettable adventure!

The one thing I can always count on Ally Carter to do is to tell a new, refreshing story but stay with the characters and the plot. Like Heist Society, Kat and the gang were going to steal something, we knew this. But what and how were they going to steal this item? This was the question and with all honesty, I wanted something new! This is exactly what I got! Kat and the gang went after a very rare gem this time and the stakes are ever higher. Especially when a plot twist of epic (or more than one plot twist) comes into play. The plot takes many detours and interesting turns until the gem is stolen, stolen by someone else (not part of the plan) and the re-stolen.

Kat and the gang are back in their full glory. This book went into more of Kat’s background and we actually see a softer, more vulnerable side of her that we didn’t see in the first book. She was still very kick ass and I loved seeing her in action. Hale, Gabrielle and Simon are back in this book and I liked their involvement.

So if I loved this book so much, why did I give it 4.5 stars? Well, I felt that Hale and Kat’s interactions, while frequent, seemed very forced and awkward (and not in the way it was supposed to be, reading wise) and that didn’t sit with me very well. With that in mind, I have no idea what really happened in the ending and not knowing how this story ends bugged me to no end!

Overall, Uncommon Criminals is a fun filled, action packed, adventure novel that I hope everyone will read!


Overall: 4.5/5
Cover Comments: 5/5—I LOVE it! The model, the smirk on her face, the glasses, the item they are stealing is all back!


1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I'm one of those weird people who didn't like Ally Carter's Gallagher Girl series. Thus, I've been holding off on Heist Society/Uncommon Criminals. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though! You're definitely cracking my resolve against trying another Ally Carter book. :P
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS