Saturday, November 12, 2011

Review: Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John

Title: Five Flavors of Dumb
Author: Antony John
Release Date: November 11, 2010
Publisher: Dial
Source: Library

The Challenge: Piper has one month to get the rock band Dumb a paying gig.

The Deal: If she does it, Piper will become the band's manager and get her share of the profits.

The Catch: How can Piper possibly manage one egomaniacal pretty boy, one talentless piece of eye candy, one crush, one silent rocker, and one angry girl? And how can she do it when she's deaf?

Piper can't hear Dumb's music, but with growing self-confidence, a budding romance, and a new understanding of the decision her family made to buy a cochlear implant for her deaf baby sister, she discovers her own inner rock star and what it truly means to be a flavor of Dumb.
Review: I’d only heard one or two things about this book before I decided I wanted to read it. When I saw it at my library at school, I decided to give it a chance. And holy cow was this book good! I read it in two days!

Piper’s having a sucky year. First he best friend moves away and then her parents use her college fund to help her younger sister out. Then she opens her big mouth and becomes the manager of Dumb, her only way of getting into her choice of college. What starts as something just for money turns out to be so much more. Piper begins to discover that there are things about herself and the people around her that she doesn’t know of. Antony John, in my opinion, wrote a novel that had a great mix of Piper and her family and Dumb and everything surrounding the music business. How Piper dealt with being deaf and being the manger of a rock band and how her family dealt with it were a great way for me to see what kind of person Piper was.

Piper herself was a very strong girl. She is deaf, yes, but she’s never let it stop her. She’s put this large wall around herself so she doesn’t get hurt but she knows how her parents feel about her being a manager, especially her dad, with whom she has a rather bad relationship. She stands for herself though and I think that as the story progressed, Piper became a better person.

Overall, I loved this book a lot! Piper was an excellent protagonist and Antony John did a great job of writing from the POV of a girl who’s deaf but knows how to defy everyone in her way so she can reach her dreams.



Overall: 5/5
Cover Comments: 5/5—While I like the fact that it works really well with the story, there is just something about it that really irks me….

2 comments :

  1. I keep seeing great review of this book, which is great as I just bought it! Can't wait to get round to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!! I'm SO glad that you loved this one!! I thought it was simply and utterly BRILLIANT and I'm SO incredibly glad that you loved it too! :D

    ReplyDelete