Monday, November 28, 2011

Review: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins 
Release Date: December 2, 2010
Publisher: Dutton
Source: Gifted (RAK)

Anna was looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris—until she meets √Čtienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, √Čtienne has it all . . . including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss? Stephanie Perkins keeps the romantic tension crackling and the attraction high in a debut guaranteed to make toes tingle and hearts melt.
Review: I’ve read this book many, many times yet I’ve never reviewed it. I could never find the words to actually sum up how much I loved this book. Recently (like a few days ago) I read Stephanie Perkin’s sophomore novel and I thought it would be right for me review this one as well.

Anna Oliphant was such an awesome protagonist. I could connect with this girl instantly and her snakiness made me laugh from the very beginning of the book! She wasn’t perfect but rather she had flaws that she wasn’t afraid to deal with. She did things I would have done and didn’t always deal with issues in the best way possible, something a lot of us can compare with! Seeing Paris from her eyes was just so much fun! Anna was also someone I could been myself being friends with and I really, really wanted her to be real!

The plot in an essence seems so over done: the whole going to boarding school in another country but not with Stephanie Perkins. She really made Paris and the school and the secondary characters come alive and it really was an original idea. The reason why Anna goes, though, to me was the most perfect because she wasn’t a bad kid whose parents thought she needed a life lesson. I love Meredith, Rashmi (yay for diversity!) and Josh…and Etienne St. Clair. Like the rest of this book and characters, they are very realistic. Etienne St. Clair was a history lover, short, awkward, sweet and a whole bunch of other things all rolled into one.

Stephanie Perkins has written a magical, funny, sweet, awkward and awesome debut. She’s a great writer who really knows how tell a good story and knows how the inside of a girl’s mind works when it comes to the question: Does he like me or not?



Overall: 5/5
Cover Comments: 2/5—I don't like this cover! Why can't I see the guy????It's just...BUT I do like the Eiffel Tower in the background!

1 comment:

  1. I hate to admit that I haven't read this one. It's been in my TBR pile since it was released last year and I've heard nothing but the best about it, but for some reason I just haven't gotten around to it. However, I'm starting to think I need to change that. Anna sounds like a fabulous main characters, and I always love when an author makes a somewhat cliche idea fresh. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS