Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Review: Where the Truth Lies by Jessica Warman

Title: Where the Truth Lies
Author: Jessica Warman
Release Date: Walker Books for Young Readers
Publisher: September 28, 2010
Source: Library
On the surface, Emily Meckler leads the perfect life. She has three best friends, two loving parents, and the ideal setup at the Connecticut prep school where her father is the headmaster. But Emily also suffers from devastating nightmares about fire and water, and nobody knows why. Then the enigmatic Del Sugar enters her life, and Emily is immediately swept away—but her passionate relationship with Del is just the first of many things that aren't quite what they seem in Emily's life. As the lies she's been told start to unravel, Emily must set out to discover the truth regarding her nightmare; on a journey that will lead her to question everything she thought she knew about love, family, and her own idyllic past.

This companion novel to Warman's critically acclaimed Breathless proves that sometimes the biggest lies are told to the people you love the most.
Review: I’m not sure about this book. I wasn’t going to write this review at first but then I thought, why not. Here’s why:

The plot: While I was completely engrossed in Emily’s story, I still do not feel that I was connected to her. Some of her actions and decisions really, really bugged me to the point where I just wanted to slap her and get her to stop! Her relationship with Del Sugar, for me, was not well developed and happened really suddenly. I have to say that it didn’t even feel like a relationship to be, but rather an obsession. There was SO much going on in this book and while I kept guessing at what was going to happen and all, I got a little frustrated by it all. BUT I like have surprises and twists and turns and they kept me at the edge of my seat!

The characters: To me, it was like Emily was the only one who changed and not for the better either. She was the good girl in the beginning of the story and began to rebel after she met Del Sugar. This would have been nice…if it hadn’t been so annoying. Ethan, Stephanie, and her other friends were just kind of there. I did like Rene a lot and I liked how their friendship became stronger and more prominent.

The writing: This book is so beautifully written that in the end, it was the reason I finished and enjoyed this book as much as I did. It really kept the book and the plot going and it brought out the emotions of the characters and the feel of the school and the fields.

Overall, I enjoyed this book for some of the plot and mainly for the writing, I’m still not sure exactly how I feel about this book. I do love the cover and it does go really well with the book….



Overall: 3/5
Cover Comments: 5/5—I love it! I love how it's tilted and the school in the background and the field!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS