Sunday, November 13, 2011

Review: Secrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen Calonita

Title: Secrets of My Hollywood Life
Author: Jen Calonita
Release Date: May 1, 2007
Publisher: Little, Brown Young Readers
Source: Library
Being a Hollywood princess isn't always a fairy tale.

What if your picture was taped inside teenage boys' lockers across America, your closets were bursting with never-worn designer clothing, and the tabloids constantly asked whether you were losing your "good girl" status?

It's a glamorous life, but 16-year-old Kaitlin Burke, co-star of one of the hottest shows on TV, is exhausted from the pressures of her fame. So she decides to spend two months undercover as an ordinary high school student. But could it be that real life high school is just as harsh as cutthroat Hollywood?

Juicy Hollywood secrets appear throughout. Combining the vicarious star-studded glamour of the New York Times bestselling A-List with the innocence of The Princess Diaries, this is an engrossing look behind the velvet ropes of stardom.
Review: I’d seen this book at my school’s library many, many time but I never picked it up. Last week, I had needed something to read and I had about five minutes to pick something out. I got this book off the shelf, not knowing what to expect at all but I got a surprise: I really enjoyed reading this book. I didn’t love it but I liked it enough!

There are a lot of chick lit books like this out there but I think the one thing that really stood out for me was the fact that it was more honest than the rest. Kaitlin Burke tells us all the glory times and all the horrible times that come with being such a big star. Though this topic is super cliché, I still enjoyed reading about it and I think that this book had a lot more focus on everything in Kaitlin’s life, not just the romance part. Though this topic is super cliché, I still enjoyed reading about it and I think that this book had a lot more focus on everything in Kaitlin’s life, not just the romance part. Though this topic is super cliché, I still enjoyed reading about it and I think that this book had a lot more focus on everything in Kaitlin’s life, not just the romance part.

Kaitlin was a great protagonist but I would have liked to have gotten more descriptions and just more…about who she is and how she felt about certain things. I was still a little disappointed in her lack of development but I understand that this is just the first book in the series so I can’t wait to read more!

Overall, it was a quick, sweet chick lit book that is an enjoyable read. You do fall in love with Kaitlin and her banter and you root for her when her rival does something really mean. It’s a book that has gotten me interested enough to check out the other books in this series!



Overall: 4/5
Cover Comments: 5/5—So cute; it's a diary and fits in really well with the whole theme for the novel.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun! It's probably not one that I'd ever pick up, but I love finding those completely random reads that end up totally surprising you! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS