Sunday, January 15, 2012

Review: As I Wake by Elizabeth Scott

Title: As I Wake 
Author:  Elizabeth Scott
Release Date: September 15, 2011
Publisher: Dutten Juvenile 
Source: Library 
Ava is welcomed home from the hospital by a doting mother, lively friends, and a crush finally beginning to show interest. There's only one problem: Ava can't remember any of them - and can't shake the eerie feeling that she's not who they say she is.

Ava struggles to break through her amnesiac haze as she goes through the motions of high-school life, but the memories that surface take place in a very different world, where Ava and familiar-faced friends are under constant scrutiny and no one can be trusted. Ava doesn't know what to make of these visions, or of the boy who is at the center of them all, until he reappears in her life and offers answers . . . but only in exchange for her trust.
Review: Elizabeth Scott goes beyond her regular scope of hart hitting contemporary to bring in a sci-fi, dystopian book that has an interesting plot line and an even more interesting main character.

I had no idea what to expect from this book since even from the summary, you know that this is not a regular Elizabeth Scott novel. Ava wakes up on the hospital not knowing where she is or who she is. The reader knows as much as Ava does about it everything that is going on and while this adds to the mystery of the novel, it also adds to the confusion. The plot does not go into a lot of details and I felt that at the end of the book, I still had unsnarled questions.

The characters were full of mystery and intrigue but I didn't feel that they were ad developed as I had hoped they would. I wanted to know more about Ava and her friends and Morgan and what was really going on. Sadly, I felt that many of the important questions, like the rules and how the world that Elizabeth Scott created in this book worked, went unanswered and it left me unsatisfied at the end of the book.

Overall, As I Wake had a lot more potential to grow and become something even bigger than it was. This should not discourage you from reading this book, it's just not one of my favorite Elizabeth Scott.



Overall: 3/5
Cover Comments: 5/5—Look at the fire, the girl, her hair turning to smoke! SO AMAZING!

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this one that much, but thanks for the honest review! I love Elizabeth Scott books for the most part, but this one seems like one I'm gonna skip, because I hate when questions are left unanswered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive never read an Elizabeth Scott but Ive had my eye on this for a while, I think I might have to pick up a different one to read first though to see what all the fuss is about. great honest review :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS