Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Review: Fracture by Megan Miranda

Title: Fracture
Author: Megan Miranda 
Release Date: January 17, 2012 
Publisher: Walker & Company 
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
By the time Delaney Maxwell was pulled from a Maine lake’s icy waters by her best friend, Decker Phillips, her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead.

But somehow Delaney survived—despite the brain scans that show irreparable damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be fine, but she knows she’s far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can’t control or explain, Delaney now finds herself drawn to the dying, and when she meets Troy Varga, a boy who recently emerged from a coma with the same abilities, she is relieved to share this strange new existence. Unsure if her altered brain is predicting death or causing it, Delaney must figure out if their gift is a miracle, a freak of nature—or something else much more frightening….
Review: I had heard a few things about Fracture when I began reading this book and they were rather high. After a few failed books, I was afraid of how I was going to like this book but guys, I had nothing to worry about. Fracture, Megan Miranda’s debut novel was full of intrigue, mystery, and bitter sweet moments.

From what I’d heard, I had expected this book to be unlike anything I had read before, so I was *kind of* prepared. From the very beginning, Megan Miranda takes us on a roller coaster journey where we think we know what will happen next but she surprises us. The plot was interestingly paced: when it needed to be quick and suspenseful, it was. When it needed to be calm and cute, it was.

Megan Miranda is a great writer and was able to help me visualizes everything that was going on in the book. I could feel the bitter cold and the freezing water. The setting was so beautifully depicted that even the scariest parts were beautiful.

When Troy was first introduced, I was afraid of a love triangle. I, for a moment, thought that that is what was going to happen but then the author changed everything around. Nothing was what it seemed, least of all Troy and intentions. You knew after a minute of reading about Troy that there was much more going on with him; something deeper and darker.

Delaney herself was a great character and it was easy to sympathize with her but also to get angry at her. I knew she made a mistake on occasion and I wanted her to fix it, which she did. She held her own throughout this book and I loved seeing her grow. What makes you fall in love with a big, jock type guy who is the formula of a jerk? If he’s Decker, Delaney’s best friend who absolutely loves her, enough to cry big fat sobs when he sees her alive after saving her.

If you can't tell by this review, Fracture was an amazing, revoting, well written book that will send chills up your spine and keep you at the edge of your seats!

Overall: 5/5
Cover Comments: 5/5—SO PRETTY. And it fits so well with the book!


3 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you enjoyed this one as much as you did because I loved it too! I thought Deleaney was great and you're right about Troy. He did play a very different role than I originally thought. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troy has really blown a lot of people off. So many people thought it was going to be a love triangle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one but I hated Troy, literally hated him, I wanted to hurl the book across the room because he freaked me out so much!!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS