Thursday, January 05, 2012

Review: A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young

Title: A Need So Beautiful
Series:  A Need So Beautiful #1
Author:  Suzanne Young
Release Date: June 21, 2011
Publisher: Balzar & Bray 
Source: Library

We all want to be remembered. Charlotte's destiny is to be Forgotten...

Charlotte’s best friend thinks Charlotte might be psychic. Her boyfriend thinks she’s cheating on him. But Charlotte knows what’s really wrong: She is one of the Forgotten, a kind of angel on earth, who feels the Need—a powerful, uncontrollable draw to help someone, usually a stranger.

But Charlotte never wanted this responsibility. What she wants is to help her best friend, whose life is spiraling out of control. She wants to lie in her boyfriend's arms forever. But as the Need grows stronger, it begins to take a dangerous toll on Charlotte. And who she was, is, and will become--her mark on this earth, her very existence--is in jeopardy of disappearing completely.

Charlotte will be forced to choose: Should she embrace her fate as a Forgotten, a fate that promises to rip her from the lives of those she loves forever? Or is she willing to fight against her destiny--no matter how dark the consequences.
Review: I’ve written this review about ten times. Seriously. I’ve read so many good reviews of this book from all sorts of bloggers that I had to check it out. I went into this book with huge expectations and sadly I was disappointed. And all those ten times I’ve written this review? I felt like I was bashing the author which was not my intention at all.

While the idea for this story is very, very unique, the characters did not help it at all: Charlotte has a “Need” to help people she doesn’t know, whether it be to save their life or someone else’s and in the process, she begins to lose parts of herself. People begin to forget about her. Yes, a girl who was being forgotten by the people she loved would be upset about it, sure, but I felt that Charlotte complained about it endlessly. At some points I did feel that Charlotte had a lot going on for her but she was never fully developed enough to me. She felt the pain and loss and anger but it was overshadowed by her complaining. I would have loved to connect with Charlotte and Sarah (her best friend) and Harlin (her boyfriend) at some point but I never did.

I’d also heard that Charlotte and Harlin had an established relationship but it didn’t feel that way to me. Seriously, I’ve never in my life heard of a couple who kiss without even knowing who they are in the middle of the hallway. It was really more of those insta love relationships or the kinds of relationships where the girl is all over the guy. As I read the book, there were so, so many times where Charlotte talked about how Harlin made her feel normal and how she couldn’t live without him. I will admit, there were times where their relationship didn’t feel all about kissing and other sexytimes, which were intense, but I didn’t feel like they had a connection. Harlin was a very good boyfriend and he did love and care for Charlotte very much…but….

The plot aspect of the Need itself kept me reading on. I went from page one to the last page, wanting more and more information about what the Need was and how it came to be, and while I did get some information on it, I would have liked more. I think it might be the reason I read book two.

I’m going to stop this review by saying that yes, I was disappointed in this book and there are the reasons why. I’m not sure what or why I didn’t like this book like so, so many other people have. Hopefully, this review didn’t seem like an author bashing because that was NOT my intention…

I think everyone should give this book a chance! Who knows, you might like it!

Overall: 3/5
Cover Comments: 5/5—LOVE this cover! It's so pretty and golden and whispy!


1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU! I felt the same way when I read it! I thought maybe something was wrong with me because so many people were RAVING over it, and I found it kinda ... blah.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS