Saturday, February 11, 2012

Review: Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1) by Richelle Mead

Title: Bloodlines
Series: Bloodlines #1
Author: Richelle Mead
Release Date: August 23, 2011
Publisher: Razor Bill
Source: Library
The first book in Richelle Mead's brand-new teen fiction series - set in the same world as Vampire Academy.

When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.
Review: To say that I was super excited to read this book is an understatement. I wanted to read this book since I found out that Richelle Mead was going to write another book in the same, most loved Vampire Academy world. I was scared too, of reading this book because I wasn’t sure what to expect. I didn’t love Sydney in Vampire Academy but I didn’t hate her either. After reading Bloodlines, I have to say, sadly, I was a bit disappointed.

Plot wise, it was awesome and I expected nothing else from Richelle Mead. I was happy to get more about the secondary characters that I was introduced to in Vampire Academy. It didn’t start off with all the action that Vampire Academy did and that was rather refreshing and interesting and there were surprises and twists that I didn’t expect. While I felt that the plot itself was rather slow and sometimes boring, I think it really went with the characters, mainly our protagonist.

Sydney was always an intriguing character and it was exciting to get to know her better and to see things from her point of view. She wasn’t my favorite character, a bit too much of a goody goody and rather boring. She though way too much about things when she should have just acted but then, I guess that’s her. I missed the snarkiness and the action. Adrian and Eddie and Jill are back and Adrian was my favorite in this one. I felt so bad for him with everything that has happened and I really wanted something good to happen to him. Also, the very, very last sentence of this book? My absolute favorite part was the last sentence (Dimitri Belikov had arrived) that made me smile like an idiot. Though I did feel bad for Adrian, I loved it so much!

Overall, Bloodlines was a good beginning to a series I know I’m going to enjoy but not absolutely love. Though I don’t want to compare it to Vampire Academy, it’s hard not to. Richelle Mead’s writing style is back again and she has a way of revealing important information at the perfect time and her signature cliffhanger ending is back. While I am annoyed with most cliffhanger endings, Bloodlines ending leaves lots of room for anything to happen!


Overall: 3/5
Cover Comments: 3/5—Not a favorite. The stances of the models aren’t very good and it just looks awkward. The guy (Adrian?) is rather good looking but a bit too old, as is the girl. And the tattoo? Weird.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry that the book didn't quite live up to your expectations, I hate when that happens to me! I enjoyed reading your review. I completely agree with you about weird positioning on the cover; something just looks off.

    Kaity from Bitten Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I hate when that happens, especially when it's a book you've been wanting to read since it was announced!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS