Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Review: Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik

Title: Epic Fail 
Author: Claire LaZebnik 
Release Date: August 22, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Library 
Will Elise's love life be an epic win or an epic fail?

At Coral Tree Prep in Los Angeles, who your parents are can make or break you. Case in point:

As the son of Hollywood royalty, Derek Edwards is pretty much prince of the school--not that he deigns to acknowledge many of his loyal subjects.

As the daughter of the new principal, Elise Benton isn't exactly on everyone's must-sit-next-to-at-lunch

When Elise's beautiful sister catches the eye of the prince's best friend, Elise gets to spend a lot of time with Derek, making her the envy of every girl on campus. Except she refuses to fall for any of his rare smiles and instead warms up to his enemy, the surprisingly charming social outcast Webster Grant. But in this hilarious tale of fitting in and flirting, not all snubs are undeserved, not all celebrity brats are bratty, and pride and prejudice can get in the way of true love for only so long.
Review: It's no secret that I love Pride and Prejudice. I consider it one of my favorite books of all time. While there will never be anything quite like it, I do enjoy reading re-tellings. Epic Fail by Claire Z. is a re-telling set in modern day California. Instead of Lizzie, we have Elise and Derek Edwards takes the place of Darcy. Epic Fail was a cute, quick read that made me smile.

The plot was along the same line as Pride and Prejudice but there wasn't a lot of depth to Epic Fail. I felt that it was loosely based off of Pride and Prejudice and in normality, I would love to see the author make the story line their own, but I just didn't feel that way about this book. Movie stars took the place of the wealthy and the characters that were supposed to be annoying were annoying (OMG, I disliked Layla a lot. It's a good thing she fit her counterpart!) There wasn't a lot of detail to the plot and things seemed to quickly. Problems were resolved rather fast and sadly, it didn't really work out for me.

I feel that characters are extremely important to the plot of a story. The more fleshed out the charter, the more the plot is relatable and the story enjoyable. If the characters don't really deliver, the story isn't as good as it could be. While I liked Elise and Juliana and Chase and even Derek, I didn't feel that these characters were developed enough and fleshed out for the story to be enjoyable. It was just a book I was reading, nothing really special and that was really sad. I liked Elise but again, there was nothing really special about her that stood out.

Overall, Epic Fail was a funny, cute and quick read that is has heart but I didn't find it to be the best book out there. It lacked in plot and character but some of the scenes did make me smile. 

Overall: 3/5
Cover Comments: 3/5—I don't like this cover at all. I don't like seeing only half of each person and not even their face is showing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS