Thursday, February 16, 2012

Review: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Title: The Fault in Our Stars 
Author: John Green
Release Date: January 10, 2012
Publisher: Dutton 
Source: Gifted
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means) Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly, to her interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.
Review: I have read one John Green book before and that was Looking for Alaska, which I loved with my whole heart. When I heard about this book, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it! I did a while to The Fault in Our Stars and after all the amazing reviews I've seen, I knew this book was going to be good. As Hazel Lancaster said this is not a Cancer Book. It's so sad but beautiful, funny and real, heart wrenching yet awesome and so much more. While I didn't absolutely, out of this world love it, this book is now a favorite. For starters, I heard that I would be like this throughout this book:
The characters are simply wonderful in this book! Hazel Lancaster was so real and witty and honest, it nearly broke my heart. There were so many times that I just wanted to go into the book and hug her like crazy. John Green has this way of writing his characters so different from all the other characters out there. I don't have cancer and I don't know anyone with cancer but I was still able to connect with Hazel. The other characters were pretty awesome too. I didn't totally love Augustus Waters at first. He was rather a jerk and annoyed me a lot, especially with the whole fake smoking thing, which by the way, causes cancer and it made no sense to me. But then again, there are a lot of things that don's sense to me.

The writing itself was try John Green as was the plot. He had the same sarcastic, witty writing and dialogue and the majority of the plot did focus on Hazel's love her a certain book that brought her and Augustus tougher which also resulted in their road trip. It doesn't focus a lot on the cancer itself but rather the character development and how Hazel and Augustus' relationship blooms. It's also, I think, a lot about how Hazel has to get over her view on life as the boring thing she believes it to be.

I think another reason I didn't absolutely love The Fault in Our Stars was because I figured out a huge plot arc early on in the book and it all had to do with how I noticed the similarities in John Green's other books and his general style. This was a sad thing, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the book, and yes, tearing up near the end.

Overall, The Fault in Our Stars is another win for John Green. It's touching and poignant novel that deals with first love and dealing with your own things. It's sad but funny, heartbreaking but awesome too. Although I would have liked to love it a lot more than I did, I still find that this book is a must read.

Overall: 4/5
Cover Comments: 3/5—Maybe it's just me, but this cover just doesn't seem to fit this book at all! I wanted something more...something more meaningful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS