Saturday, February 25, 2012

Review: Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby

Title: Shooting Stars
Author: Allison Rushby 
Release Date: February 28, 2012
Publisher: Walker Children's 
Source: Publisher 
Meet Josephine Foster, or Zo Jo as she’s called in the biz. The best pint-sized photographer of them all, Jo doesn’t mind doing what it takes to get that perfect shot, until she’s sent on an undercover assignment to shoot Ned Hartnett—teen superstar and the only celebrity who’s ever been kind to her—at an exclusive rehabilitation retreat in Boston. The money will be enough to pay for Jo’s dream: real photography classes, and maybe even quitting her paparazzi gig for good. Everyone wants to know what Ned’s in for. But Jo certainly doesn’t know what she’s in for: falling in love with Ned was never supposed to be part of her assignment.
Review: I’ve been in another reading slump lately and it was really, really bad. I wanted something fun and light and cute to read but I couldn’t find anything that fit. When I received Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby, I decided to give it a go. I was happy I did because it was cute, light and fun to read!

You always read about the person whose picture is being snapped and therefore, it was refreshing to see the point of view from the person actually taking the pictures. Zo Jo is a fun character who takes her work seriously and uses all of her advantages (her heights gives her the ability to look like a kid) to get the job done! Though there is a lot about Jo’s job and why she’s sent to the center, the entire book does not just focus on that. The plot was rather predictable but there was that one big secret that really got me and I was happy about that! This book is rather short and I felt that a lot of things, like the ending, were rushed and could have been longer.

As for the characters, I liked them a lot and I loved going on this adventure with them, I didn’t particularly feel that they were really developed. Throughout this novel, Jo learns more about the people around her and a lot about herself. Being raised by a father who isn’t always around (he’s a pap too), Jo has to figure out how to be a teenager…a normal, non-pap teenager, but it was really generic. There was cute romance there that was again, predictable (I totally called it) but cute nonetheless. I also felt that the people at the center had a lot going for them and I would have liked to get to know them better as well but that didn’t work out either. While I’m sure this is for young adults and the protagonist is sixteen, I wasn’t sure if it was middle grade or not which I think had to do with the lack of character development and all.

Overall, though, Shooting Stars was a fun read that made me smile. Sure it didn’t deliver as much as I had hoped it would, I did enjoy it and I think you shouldn’t ride it off just yet.

Overall: 3/5
Cover Comments: 5/5—SO cute! It fits with the novel with not only how well it relates to was Jo does BUT GUYS, look! The girl looks Japanese like Jo!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS