Thursday, April 19, 2012

Discussion: I Miss Standalones Part 1

**This was actually going to be a VERY long post but I decided to break it down into a few different posts!**

I recently read a middle grade book that I enjoyed a lot and I wrote up the review for it. I have a template I use for all of my review so when I went to Goodreads to get the summary of the novel, I was honestly shocked to see that it was part of a series. When I finished that said book, I was happy at the ending. It was a good ending that tied up the loose ends and I couldn’t wait to read more from the AUTHOR. Which then got me to thinking about how pretty much every single book we’ve got these days are part of a series or trilogy or something.
I miss standalones.

Why can’t a fantasy book, like Brightly Woven, just be a book onto itself. Another, The False Princess by Elis O’Neal was another great fantasy read and I loved the ending for that one too. Why aren’t there many paranormal or urban fantasies that are standalones? I get that there is a lot of world building needing in those books but still.

I’ve actually broken this down into much simpler terms:

Companions
I don’t really have a problem with companions. Like The Giver, one of my favorite books ever, I was super happy with it’s ending and when I heard that I had two companion novels, I wasn’t sure what to think. After reading them, I realized that they were not a continuous of The Giver but rather a continuous of the world, which I loved.

Like Anna and the French Kiss, it was a great standalone. Lola and the Boy Next Door was another great
 companion that just had the cameo of two characters from ANNA. I didn’t have a problem of that either.

Companions good but I think people should know what a companion is. It can be in the same world and have the same government or something but the main character might be different. I don’t want a companion to be told from the same character as the first book because in my book, it makes it a sequel, not a companion.

Books that were good as standalones that were extended

**Many dystopians in my opinion are exceptions and I’ll explain why in another post**

I’ve read plenty of books, like the MG fantasy book from above, that I thought were great as a standalone and I honestly don’t know why the author wants to continue this story.

There is just something about a good ending that feels right that makes me happy. There are some books that have a good ending but are also loose ended, letting the reader think what they want with that book and characters. I personally love that! I love having a good ending but being able to imagine what might happen to the characters next.

Now many books that were like that have become part of a trilogy or a series. And a lot of the time from what I’ve noticed, book 2 isn’t as good as book 1 and occasionally, book 2 was just bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS