Friday, April 06, 2012

Goodbye Ratings

I've debated over this for a long, long time. Should I or shouldn't I rate the books I read?

At first, it seemed like a great idea! I loved reading book blogs and see if the reviewer gave the book a five, four or one star. It made it easier for me to see how well they liked the book or not. Yes, I read the review and understood *most of the time* what they were trying to say. But I always looked to that rating to see if I wanted to read this book or not.

When I came across other blogs that didn’t use ratings, I began to wonder a) why did I always look more at the ratings than at the review overall and b) what was the rating for? Was it an overall impression of the book or the authors writing? After debating for a long time, I decided I wouldn’t get rid of rating systems. At first I had 5 star ratings but for the longest time, I did numerical grading system out of 5.

Now I’ve decided to take the plunge and have no rating systems. Not one book is the same as another, even in a series or as companion novels, so why do I use the same grading system for them all? I’ve liked the writing for a book and not the plot and vise versa in another book.

Instead, I’ll be adding links to other bloggers’ reviews of the same book. That way, not only will you get to see what I thought about the book, you will also see what other’s thought as well. I’m not sure how this is going to work out but hopefully I liked it better than actually giving a book a rating, which by the way, isn’t as easy as it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS