Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review: Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters by Meredith Zeitlin

Title: Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters
Author: Meredith Zeitlin
Release Date: March 1, 2012
PublisherG.P. Putnam's Sons
Source: Publisher 
Kelsey Finkelstein is fourteen and FRUSTRATED. Every time she tries to live up to her awesome potential, her plans are foiled – by her impossible parents, her annoying little sister, and life in general. But with her first day of high school coming up, Kelsey is positive that things are going to change. Enlisting the help of her three best friends — sweet and quiet Em, theatrical Cass, and wild JoJo — Kelsey gets ready to rebrand herself and make the kind of mark she knows is her destiny.

Things start out great - her arch-nemesis has moved across the country, giving Kelsey the perfect opportunity to stand out on the soccer team and finally catch the eye of her long-time crush. But soon enough, an evil junior’s thirst for revenge, a mysterious photographer, and a series of other catastrophes make it clear that just because KELSEY has a plan for greatness… it doesn’t mean the rest of the world is in on it.

Kelsey’s hilarious commentary throughout her disastrous freshman year will have you laughing out loud—while being thankful that you’re not in her shoes, of course…
Review: 
Two years ago, I was somewhat in Kelsey's shoes. I didn't have a plan for freshman year but I did have that feeling: high school is a whole NEW ball game, different from anything else. It's a great time to become who you want to be or change yourself completely. It's also the year that you feel a little lost and confused...and yes, scared.  Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters is a very funny, light, and very cute book about a girl who's just trying to survive the battle that is called high school and trying to figure out who she is. Meredith Zeitlin delivers a story full of laughs and lessons to be learned about a very charismatic young girl! 

I can't even being to tell you how I feel about this book. I read it in ONE DAY. Literally, one day and the entire time I was reading it, I laughed out loud, shook my head, said "awww" out loud a few times, and genuinely enjoyed reading this book. Kelsey is funny guys! She's witty and snarky but she's not annoying. She feels the angst of being a 14-year-old, an older child, entering high school and while this may sound disastrous, Kelsey is real. I could connect to her and *most* of the situations she got herself in. Sure some of it seemed far fetched (and maybe I was jealous my freshman year self didn't get asked to junior prom!) but they were nice to read about.

I love the way Meredith Zeitlin writes. Not only when it came to Kelsey's dialogue and her thoughts, but the interactions she has with the other people around her, even her best friends. Some people might read this book and say some of these things aren't possible or cliched (such as best friends not talking over a guy) but let me tell you, the majority of these events in this book are ones I've seen happen or have happened to me. Meredith Zeitlin just had a way of making Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters into such a great read that did have meaning behind it.  

Overall, I loved this book. It was HILARIOUS and cute and so many other words. I really loved Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters and  I think you should give it a try. You'll be surprised at how fast you zip through this novel and then want more and more about the characters. Meredith Zeitlin delivered with her debut!  
Rating:
4/5
Cover Comments: 
It's simple and cute and adorable and fits the book well!
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS