Monday, April 02, 2012

Review: Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay

Title: Love and Leftovers
Author: Sarah Tregay
Release Date: December 27, 2011
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Source: Library
My wish is to fall cranium over Converse in dizzy, daydream-worthy love.

(If only it were that easy.)

When her parents split, Marcie is dragged from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She leaves behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the Leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father. By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marcie suspects this "vacation" has become permanent. She starts at a new school where a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up.

But understanding love, especially when you've watched your parents' affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? can you even know it until you've lost it?

Love and Leftovers is a beautifully written story of one girl’s journey navigating family, friends, and love, and a compelling and sexy read that teens will gobble up whole.
Review: Before I begin with the review, I just want to say that I love books written in prose and I want more YA books written in that format. That said, I was super excited to read Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay because a) it was written in prose and b)it sounded really good! Like most books written in prose, Love and Leftovers was a quick read that dealt with issues like love and relationship and some sexuality and a teenagers quest to finding who she is.

First, the good things: Sarah Tregay's writing it amazing! Her words flowed very well and she was abel to incorporate a lot of emotion in her words. The plot was a good overall and while it did have a lot going on, it was fun to read. I liked the IM chats between Marcie and Katie and the songs that Linus wrote for Marcie; they really made me understand the characters a little bit better.

The thing about prose is that it doesn't give a lot of room for character development and well, the basic feel of the character. It's hard to figure out what kind of a person the character is based on no real descriptions or very minimal information. I didn't feel that close to Marcie and Katie and the other characters and that took away from me loving the book. Marcie, in a sense, was the character who made mistake after mistake but you rooted for them none the less. I did feel that Marcie was a little selfish and some of the things she did rubbed me the wrong way. The one thing that got to me the most was the sugar-sweet happy ending. It just felt so unrealistic that all the matter were resolved so nicely and things went back to the way they were. I don't know, but it seemed like it would take much more time to resolve all thew conflicts in the book.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Love and Leftovers and while I didn't love it completely, it was a nice, quick read that did have highlights and made you feel good inside. The lack of character development, some of the choices that Marcie made and the ending got to me and made me not enjoy it as much as I had hoped to.

Overall: 3/5
Cover Comments: 3/5—Nothing really special...something else could have been done with it, ya know?



3 comments:

  1. I love books written in prose too so I'm gutted this one didnt really live up to its full potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was super sad that it didn't live up to it's potential.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS