Monday, April 16, 2012

Review: Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test #2) by Aimee Carter

Title: Goddess Interrupted 
Series: Goddess Test #2 
Author: Aimee Carter 
Release Date: March 27, 2012  
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: NetGalley via Publisher 

Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it.Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans. As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person whom she would really rather not meet. Henry's first wife, Persephone. 
Review: 
I loved The Goddess Test, the first book in this series and Aimee Carter’s debut novel. I love all things mythology and I wanted to get to see how the author would takle one of the most frequent re-told myth out there. I was happy with The Goddess Test and super excited for Goddess Interrupted. While I did enjoy this book, I didn’t love it as much as I had hoped to love it. It was a quick read that had a lot going on and the plot got better than in The Goddess Test.

One of my problems with this book was Kate. Kate was much stronger in the first installment than she was in this one; she was incredibly whiney and got really jealous at times, even when she didn't have any reason to be in this book. I get that she has some angst going on, but she should have acted her age! In a moment where she should have been strong and defiant, she wasn’t and that took away from the strong girl I remember in The Goddess Test. This also proved be a lack point in her development as a character, which if you know me, doesn’t go well with me.

The plot was awesome and there were surprises and intriguing and introduced new characters (Persephone!) and I liked that at least that bit was changed and developed. Aimee Carter could have simply gone with the same plot line for Goddess Interrupted but thank goodness she changed it!

Overall, I didn’t enjoy Goddess Interrupted as I did The Goddess Test. While the plot proceeded, character development wasn’t very present and that took away a lot of the enjoyment. Aimee Carter’s writing is great, though, and it really brings out the world that she has created in these books. I think everyone should read these books, at least giving them a try!
Rating:
3/5
Cover Comments: 
I actually like this one a lot! I wish it did go more with the book but the model reminds me of Kate and I love what she's wearing. Plus, it's consistent!
My Previous Reviews: 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS