Thursday, April 12, 2012

WIHTSA: North and South

WIHTSA: What I Have To Say About posts are random posts I have about random things, raining from cover comments to book releases to movies!
I have a some-what confession: I love Pride and Prejudice. I love Darcy. I also love Jane Eyre and Rochester. I didn't think that there was anything better than those two in English literature but then one day, I cam across this post at Melanie's Musing by Nicole of WORD for Teens and from there I went to Sandy of Pirate Penguin's Reads post and I was very much intrigued. A guy (John Thornton) hotter than both Darcy and Rochester? I didn't initially check out this new book (and movie) that these ladies loved but then I saw Angie's post about it and I had to check it out.

That night, I ended up watching the entire movie through and through and I AM IN LOVE. First of all, it's a BBC adaption and they hardly ever go wrong. Seriously, I have recommended this movie to everyone and anyone. I have tried to read the book but the writing is hard for me to understand, even though I'm usually really good at reading periodical novels (which is my term for novel set in the Victorian, Elizabethan, etc, eras) so that'll have to wait for later.

Why do I love this movie is much? Part of it does have to do with this man:
He's usually extremely broody and grim and rarely smiles, but when he does, he's super sexy. He's like a mix of Rochester from Jane Eyre and Darcy from Pride and Prejudice (as Angie so eloquently said in her post.) By the way, "look back, look back at me" kills me every time, it's just so darn perfect and his face is so hurt. There is a lot of agony and jealousy going on and it makes you smile.

Margaret Hale, our protagonist, is an independent woman who is new to the North and when she and Thornton meet for the first time, they clash over their differences. The one aspect that puts this book and adaption apart from other works during this time period is that it's not all focused on the love story. There is a lot of talk about the interaction between the classes and the genders and we can even see how the lower classes vs. the upper classes live and see the world.

So, if this hasn't convinced you to read it, I'd recommend reading the other ladies' posts. For that reason, I am a Richard Armitage fan (Guy if Gisborne anyone? He's clad in leather....that is all) as well as a North and South fan. Hopefully, North and South and I will becomes as good friends as I am with P&P and Jane Eyre. Also, BBC doesn't go wrong in their adaptions!

I hope this has convinced you all to not only check this movie out but the book as well. I'm pretty sure I'll be having more Richard Armitage posts (he's Thorian Okanshield in The Hobbitt!!!) in the future and more about North and South too!

2 comments:

  1. LOOOOOOOOOVE this movie! The ending is just so unbelievably perfect! You've just inspired me to go re-watch it :)
    Book Light Graveyard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm so happy that it got some response! I so agree! The ending is so breathtaking!

      Delete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS