Saturday, May 05, 2012

The Classics Challenge

As I was talking to my friend about summer reading books and how I've only liked one single book, we began talking about other classics that should be required. If they were, I'd have a more likely chance of liking them. I realized that I had read only a handful classic novels and I want to change that.

SO I decided that I would read a list of classic novels (some will be re-reads) in hopes of, well, reading more classic novels. This is a list of 58 books, all considered to some degree of being a "classic novel." Some of these I have read, others I have not. Some I will re-read and others I won't.

But as I finish high school and enter college, I want to have read a good number of classics. But I don't want it to stop there.

I hereby challenge myself to read all of these books (that I've indicated) by the time I graduate college. Which means:

Challenge begun: May 5, 2012
End Date: Spring 2017
Total To-Read: 53 *SUBJECT TO CHANGE*
Total Read: 0

I'll give you guys regular up dates called "The Classic Update" on which book I'm reading and what I think of it. Let's see how this goes guys. AND I might add more books as I find them.

Classics to Read
1. Persuasion by Jane Austen
2. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
3. Moby Dick by Herman Melville
4. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
5. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
6. The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
7. The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien
8. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
9. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
10. Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
11. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
12. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
13. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
14. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
15. Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand
16. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
17. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
18. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
19. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
20. War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
21. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
22. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
23. The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo
24. Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
25. Frankenstein Mary Shelley
26. Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
27. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
28. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
29. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
30. Atonement by Ian McEwan
31. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
32. A Passage to India by E.M. Forster
33. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
34. Gone with the wind by Margaret Mitchell
35. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
36. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens 

Re-Read
1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
3. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
4. Becoming Jane Eyre by Sheila Kohler
5. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
6. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
7. The Trumpet of the Swam by E.B. White
8. Stuart Little by E.B. White
9. The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss

Unfinished Classics to Read:
1. Emma by Jane Austen
2. The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
3. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Jules Verne
4. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
5. Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
6. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
7. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingles Wilder
9. The Return of the Native by Thomas Harding

Read but will not re-read
1. The Oedipus Cycle by Sophocles *for school*
2. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare *for school*
3. Hamlet by William Shakespeare *for school*
4. Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare *for school*

This is not part of The Classics Club hosted by Jillian of A Room of One's Own. I have already spoken to Jillian and I can post about. 

Is this a crazy venture? Probably. Am I a nerd? 100% (and so proud of it). But there is this feeling of, I dunno, pride when it comes to announcing that "yes, I've read that book. Yeah, I'm a teenager and I've read a classic." 

People don't think most teens read a book, let alone a classic. My english teacher, who is quiet frank with us let us know that we have such bad reps with other teachers and parents. I've never been ashamed of that fact that I read. Books always have and always will hold a very special place in my life but I want to expand my genre. 

**THIS IS NOT A SORT OF CHALLENGE FOR ANYONE ELSE. THIS IS A PERSONAL GOAL**

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS