Thursday, May 10, 2012

Old is Gold {5}: Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

My attempt to bring attention to all those awesome old books we read a few years ago or maybe as far as elementary school!Sometimes, all we need is a good childhood favorite! Inspired by Tynga's Daring You To Read Feature. This feature focuses ONLY on YA and Middle Grade books. 

Billy, Old Dan and Little Ann -- a Boy and His Two Dogs... A loving threesome, they ranged the dark hills and river bottoms of Cherokee country. Old Dan had the brawn, Little Ann had the brains -- and Billy had the will to train them to be the finest hunting team in the valley. Glory and victory were coming to them, but sadness waited too. And close by was the strange and wonderful power that's only found...

An exciting tale of love and adventure you'll never forget.
Title: Where the Red Fern Grows 
Author: Wilson Rawls 
Release Date/Publisher: January 1st 1961 by Yearling
Why You Should Read It: The first book I ever read where I cried. Seriously. I might have been in the first or second grade when my teacher handed me this book and I fell in love within a few pages. An older man tells the story of his childhood with so much vigor and life that I felt like I was with him and his dogs during his childhood. It's an honest and thoughtful coming of age story and is written so masterfully that you'll love it no matter what. There are so, so many emotions in this book guys that you can't help but shed a few tears (or maybe more). It's a truly amazing book and I hope all of you will read it!

For those of you who have read this book, what did you think? Did you cry too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS