Friday, May 04, 2012

Review: Pandemonium (Delirium #2) by Lauren Oliver

Title: Pandemonium 
Series: Delirium #2
Author: Lauren Oliver
Release Date: February 28, 2012 
PublisherHarper Teen
Source: Library 
I'm pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push, push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.

Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.
**SOME SPOILERS TO DELIRIUM AND OTHERS HAVE BEEN BLACKED OUT**
Review: 
After that cliffhanger ending of doom in Delirium, I desperately needed Pandemonium in my hands. I really wanted to know what was going to happen next to Lena and Alex (seriously, I KNEW that he wasn't dead. THERE WAS NO FREAKIN WAY!) and how she was going to survive living in the Wilds. Pandemonium was everything Delirium was times ten. There was romance and action and danger and suspense and yes, another cliffhanger ending of doom, but this time, I grinned like an idiot!

The plot revolved around showing how Lena survived living in the Wilds (Then) and then what was currently happening (Now), especially with the resistance and all. Some people didn't like the changing between Then and Now but I loved it. The changing made me want to read the book more and more and it made me not want to put the book down. While both circumstances were different, I didn't feel that there was a whole lot of...WOW aspect. I dunno. I found Delirium the same way. While sure, there was TALK about the whole WOW factor going on (the raids, etc.) I just didn’t get that much from the book. All of the action, while present, was muted or dimmed down and I just wanted it to be a little more…more, if you know what I mean. As I read, I wanted to gasp out loud but I didn’t. Instead, I just read the book. Where there twists and turns (some of which I found predictable *I mean, Alex was thought to be dead and we all know that there HAS to be a love interest for our girl so I KNEW we were going to get someone* Another note: I really, really want Lauren Oliver to expand on a few topics about Lena and her life (past and present). We got glimpses of them in Delirium and in Pandemonium but I wanted more.

Lauren Oliver’s writing was just as brilliant as before. Lena’s voice is just the same as in Delirium BUT there was a sense of strength and determination in it. Lauren Oliver kept Lena’s voice but showed the other side of it; not the scared “oh, I’m going against the law” voice but the “oh, heck, I had better become stronger or I’ll never survive!” And again, the side characters were their own people and I loved them for it. They had their own voice and while they weren’t as developed (I mean, we were just introduced to them) but they were still different and unique. These new (and some old) characters fit the Wilds perfectly.

Lena was much stronger in Pandemonium than she was in Delirium and I think it had to do with her surroundings and her situation. In Pandemonium, she realized that she HAD to become strong or she wasn’t going to survive. She also realized that while she missed and still loved Alex, she couldn’t let her feelings cloud her judgment or her survival. The other characters were great too and a certain love interest also got my heart too. Julian was a little bit of a wuss for me at first BUT THEN I realized that he’s pretty much been sheltered (and been experimented on) his entire life so of course the whole newness of the world would surprise him and he wouldn’t know what to do.

Overall, Pandemonium was an epic continuation to Delirium and as usual, Lauren Oliver delivered with this book! It had all the action and adventure and sadness and lyrical writing and a kickass protagonist and everything else you expect form Lauren Oliver. It’s a must read!
Rating:
5/5
Cover Comments: 
I liked Delirium's original cover a lot and I was a little sad when they changed it. While I like this cover (it is gorgeous), I can't help but wonder what this cover would have looked like if they had stayed with the same theme as Delirium's original cover, ya know?
My Previous Reviews: 
Delirium by Lauren Oliver 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS