Thursday, June 07, 2012

Armchair BEA: Beyond Your Blog

Desing by Nina @ Nina Reads
Has blogging opened up opportunities for you beyond getting free, advance copies of new books? Has it helped you get offers to write or review elsewhere (maybe even for pay)? Have you gotten invites to special events or places you might not have been to otherwise?
Here are a few things blogging has helped me go beyond just my blog: 
  • Books: I think the biggest thing blogging has opened the door for me are the books! If it hasn't been for my blog, I would't know about half of these books that I know about! Sure I'd scour the books at my library, but with blogging, I know specific authors. I can ask about the books to the librarians and because of my reviews, I've given recommendations for my librarians to order some books! This has moved beyond free ARCs and review books. I can see a book on a shelf and I'll get excited about it because someone talked about it on their blog. 
  • Writing: I've been a story tell since I was a kid but it was when I was in the 4th grade that I really wanted to write. Blogging has opened my eyes to many, many authors and publishers and other websites out there to help writers! I never knew about writing workshops and querying and all that jazz. 
  • Conversations & Friendships: While I don't tell everyone about my blog, the books I come across in blogging have helped me make new friends. I've started long conversations with people based on reviews I've read or interviews. Many of these people have become my friends. 
  • Events: I knew that authors visited schools and stuff, but I had no idea that people could ask their libraries to host authors. If it hadn't been for blogging, I wound't know about half the cool things that deal with books, one of the biggest being BEA itself! 
My blog has never been about the money. I receive absolutely not one penny for the reviews I post. Do I get review copies? Yeah, that's a plus in blogging but I don't get a whole bunch. It was well over one year of blogging that I actually got my first ARC.

What about you all? As always, leave links and I'll visit!

11 comments:

  1. It took me about a year before I started getting review requests too.  Now a lot of authors contact me directly, which I like -- although I try to answer every email which is tough sometimes. 

    I've found a lot of good writing groups through blogs, although I don't participate much.  I think for someone who really wants to write, blogs can be very supportive.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, answering every e-mail can get touch. I find it hard to say no to a book review request! Blogs are so amazing for a writer, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, blogging sure has changed the way I think about books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding out about events is great!  I love seeing authors in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen @bookmarksJune 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM

    I believe you have summed up my blogging experience quite nicely. http://kmbookmarks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stepping Out of the PageJune 7, 2012 at 4:02 PM

    Books are definitely the best! ;) I loved your post - It's great to get to know you. :)

    New to your blog!Stephanie @ Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, thanks to blogging I know way more books that I would have never found (especially e-books) and I love interacting with other book lovers on goodreads & twitter. What a great post :D

    Racquel @ The Book Barbies♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, beautiful post!! :) I agree!! I wouldn't know 3/4 of the books I know now, if it wasn't for blogging! :) :) And my english would be way worse :P Enjoy aBEA! :) Hope to see you at the twitter party! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love blogging.  It makes me feel better to know that when starting out I'm not the only one that cant seem to get tons of arcs!

    http://mortalitybitesreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting. Blogging is a great way to find out about new books. My poor TBR pile can attest to this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree about the books! When I go to the bookstore now, not have I heard about the new ones already, I think to myself, "So-and-so liked that one, hated that one..." It's a whole new experience.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS