Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Armchair BEA: Networking in Real Life

Networking in real life for me is....bad.

Lol, that doesn't sound too good but the thing is, I'm a shy person. Even online, I'm super shy. I've had a Twitter for a few years and I've got less than 5000 tweets. Sad or what?

That all translates a little too well in real life. While I am the girl that introduces herself to random people, I'm a shy person. I'll start a conversation about a book someone is reading but after sometime, it just doesn't continue. I'm hoping this year will be different.

I've told more and more people in real life about my blog. My school librarians know about my blog as ask me about books I've read or heard of. But I've talked to friends and family about the blog and I often give people my blog's name in hopes that they'll visit.

I've yet to meet an author in real life but I hope to change that this November for YallFest, in Charleston, South Carolina and holy moly y'all, more than 20+ authors (from what I know) are going to be there!Are you wondering who's going to be there? Well, here are a few authors: Cassandra Clare, Andrea Cremer,Kim Derting, Simone Elkeles, Elizabeth Eulberg, Gayle Forman, Kami Garcia, Jenny Han, Siobhan Vivian, Michelle Hodkin, Ellen Hopkins, Alyson Noel, David Levithan, Stephanie Perkins (!!!!!!!!!!), and SO MANY MORE AUTHORS. Networking times a billion, I'd say!

So, while my real life networking has been minimal, I'm hoping 2012 will be a year I break out of my shell and make more friends!

There are a few things I'll share that I know are good networking ideas:

  • Twitter: Really, no matter what people say, this is such an easy way to reach a lot of people. And you can connect with others online!
  • Business cards: I actually don't have any for my own blog BUT I have kept a lot of bushiness cards I've received from fellow bloggers and authors and even publishers. 
  • Libraries: Spark a conversation with the librarians. Don't have anything good to read? As one of them for a recommendation. You can introduce yourself and your blog and you'll be surprised at what can happen.
  • Events: If there is an author coming to where you live, try to go and meet them! They're super nice and they might even recognize you from your twitter if you've talked to them on there! 
As always, leave you're link and I'll visit!

17 comments:

  1. I'm also a shy person, so I understand where you're coming from. Outside of my family, I haven't made an effort to tell people about my blog. Hopefully we'll both reach out in the upcoming year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm shy too! I do find that with something I'm passionate about (like books) it's easier to talk about!

    Good luck furthering that and I hope you have a blast at YallFest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that event might make my list---I mean YallFest that is just awesome :)  It does sound like a blast!  I can't wait till you go and I can check out the details after!  

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, when it's something you love, it's easier but I want to be not hard at all, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you can come; it was amazing last year from what I heard! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle BirbeckJune 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM

    I love libraries! They are fantastic places! And they're full of like minded people, too!
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really shy too and it gets in the way sometimes.  I was a volunteer at a library at one point for a few weeks for a club and never even mentioned my blog to anyone there.  I have this irrational fear of letting people in my life know I blog because I feel like people who aren't part of the book blogging community look at me weird when I talk about it.  As of now only my family and a very select few friends know about it.  That's awesome that you talked to your school librarians though.  Hopefully they'll get you some traffic to your site by telling others lol. 
    -Melissa @Harley Bear Book
    Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Working in a library, I would LOVE love love LOVE for someone to come up to me and ask for recommendations and tell me they write a book blog. Did I mention I would love it? I am not toooooo savvy with adult or nonfiction BUT I would still love to to talk about books!!!!!! That really is a great tip, thank you for sharing :)

    Leila | The Fiction Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharon @ Obsession with BooksJune 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM

    Have a great time at Yallfest! I hope you get to meet some amazing authors :)

    I am extremely shy as well, none of my family or friends even know I blog..

    Thank-you for stopping by my blog, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/armchair-bea-day-3-positive-experience.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the advice you give at the end, thanks so much !! (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really shy too, so that's part of my problem. YallFest sounds AMAZING! That is an incredible line-up of authors. I hope you have a fantastic time and that you're able to break out of your shell more! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will post pictures for sure! I just need to get all the books I want to get signed! 

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're welcome! 

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's all the way in November though, which sucks, but I can't wait for it! 

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a teenager and when I mention it to a lot of teens, they look at me funny but oh well! 

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love libraries too! A great place to nerd about books! 

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS