Thursday, June 21, 2012

Review: The Duff by Kody Keplinger

Title: The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend 
Author: Kody Keplinger 
Release Date: September 7, 2010
Publisher: Poppy (Little Brown) 
Source: Library  
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.
Review: 
After reading A Midsummer's Nightmare, I had to get my hands on The Duff, Kody Keplinger's (she wrote this in high school!) debut novel and I already owned Shut Out. I was a little worried about reading The Duff because it's such a touchy topic, body image and sex. The Duff is one of the most realistic contemporary novels I've read in a long time. It's quirky and funny and sexy but it's also gut wrenching and there's more going on to Bianca than meets the eye.

I have good self esteem but like Kody Keplinger said in the book, everyone feels like the Duff at some point in their life and I know I sure did (do). I really, really liked Bianca because she's so like me! She's cynical without meaning to be and she speaks her mind about anything and she's got that touch girl exterior. It's after Wesley appoints her the name the Duff that the reader sees that Bianca isn't as strong as she seems to be. Her family life is far from perfect and you feel a lot for Bianca when more is revealed about her situation.

I did like how Kody Keplinger put sex into this book and I think she actually did it well. The relationship with Bianca and Wesley was realistic (but then again, it's the whole: girl doesn't look good and she gets the good looking guy) and I actually thought it was funny. Both seemed to bring out the best (and worst) in each other and their interactions were hilarious!

Overall, The Duff was an excellent contemporary novel. The writing, plot, and the characters came together to make this an enjoyable read! I only wish that the characters gone through more development throughout the book though. I really do wish more people will read this book because I think they'll be surprised by what they find and how much they enjoy it! Another win for Kody Keplinger!
Rating:
3/5
Cover Comments: 
It's an okay cover I guess. It does go with Kody's other cover with have a face on the cover and I do like the defiance in the model's (Bianca?) face. I also like how it shows with DUFF stands for. 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS