Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Review: A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger

Title: A Midsummer's Nightmare 
Author: Kody Keplinger 
Release Date: June 5, 2012 
Publisher: Poppy 
Source: Publisher 
Whitley Johnson's dream summer with her divorcé dad has turned into a nightmare. She's just met his new fiancée and her kids. The fiancée's son? Whitley's one-night stand from graduation night. Just freakin' great.

Worse, she totally doesn't fit in with her dad's perfect new country-club family. So Whitley acts out. She parties. Hard. So hard she doesn't even notice the good things right under her nose: a sweet little future stepsister who is just about the only person she's ever liked, a best friend (even though Whitley swears she doesn't "do" friends), and a smoking-hot guy who isn't her stepbrother...at least, not yet. It will take all three of them to help Whitley get through her anger and begin to put the pieces of her family together.

Filled with authenticity and raw emotion, Whitley is Kody Keplinger's most compelling character to date: a cynical Holden Caulfield-esque girl you will wholly care about.
Review: 
I've never read a book by Kody Keplinger but I'd heard that she was a good author. When I got the chance to read A Midsummer's Nightmare, her third book, I took my chance. I'm glad I read A Midsummer's Nightmare because it was a great, realistic and funny story.

Whitley is a messed up girl, there's not doubt about it. She is dealing with her breaking family and the feeling of abandonment and I loved every minute of it. Whitley was a great character and I loved reading about her. Did she make mistakes? Yes. Did I think she was completely and totally ruining her life? Yes. But the thing was, she's seventeen. She's a teen and she's young and she's going through a lot. My parents aren't divorced and I don't drink but I'm seventeen too and I could relate to her. Did I feel that maybe she was a little over the top? Yeah, but I got over it.

I did think that Nathan was a little too...good? Maybe it was because he'd be really honest about what he thought about Whitely and then he'd take it all back...a little quickly. Did I think he was a good love interest and a little quirky and NERDY (nerds will take over the world!) and funny too? Yeah, I did and for the most part, I really loved him.

I guess the reason I didn't love it all the way was because the ending was just a little too...perfect. I didn't think all the mess could be solved that quickly but I guess it'll take a while for everything to work out. Anyhoo, Kody Keplinger can write teens in all of their perfectly screwed up angstly ways and I LOVED IT. Whitley could be a girl at my high school and I want to meet a guy like Nathan. Her way of portraying teens was REAL. Many time, adults think all teens care about is all their issues and angst and I think Kody Keplinger showed that there's more to teens that that. I really appreciated that. And Bailey, the soon to be step sister is THE MOST ADORABLE LITTLE SISTER EVER. She might even match Olive from Unbreak my Heart. She's like the Energizer Bunny, full of life and always moving but there's more to her. She's able to see through Whitley's facade and is really able to help her out of it. She was totally great!

Overall, Kody Keplinger's A Midsummer's Nightmare is a funny, cute, and heartwarming story and I LOVED IT. Does Whitley make you want to slap her and tell her she's got such great people in her life and not to screw it up? Yes. But in the same way, you root for her. I could see a little me in her (I don't drink or do half the things she did but I know PLENTY of teens who do). Whitley is quickly and real and sometimes brash but she's REAL. You have to read this book!
Rating:
4/5

Cover Comments: 
I like this cover but I have an issue with it: what is up with the model's face? Maybe it's because it's Whitley and she realizes that the guy she slept with is going to be her step brother? I'm not sure BUT I do like the colors and the hat and it all works well together but the expression still gets me! 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS