Thursday, June 28, 2012

Review: Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Obsidian 
Series: Lux #1 
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout 
Release Date: May 8, 2012 
Publisher: Entangled Teen  
Source: Borrowed 
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.
Review: 
After reading numerous glowing reviews of this book and the author, I knew I had to get my hands on a copy of this book! Obsidian turned out to be just as funny, sexy, and intriguing as everyone said it was going to be. It wasn’t perfect but it was an entertaining read none the less and I am now a fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout

Due to the reviews I had read, I knew the big “secret” that was revealed later on in the book that took away some of the surprise but getting to know the back-story made it worthwhile. The inclusion of Daemon and Dee’s background and origin saved Obsidian from being a clichéd book but rather it made it different. Obsidian wasn’t overly saturated with background information so it didn’t make me cringe or get overly confused at anything the author introduced nor was it all too predictable, something I had feared. There was a good balance of sexiness, funny times, and danger and excitement to make Obsidian’s plot a fast paced ride!

But I did have an issue with it all: I'd seen it all before. The new-town, new-girl scenario. Then add in the hot bad boy and something mysterious happening. There is of course a parent who is dead and the other is too busy working to really be in her (or his) child's life. Basically, besides the whole "mystery" with Daemon, everything was just...not original.

Katy was snarky and gunny and completely infatuated with Daemon, no matter how infuriating he was. She quickly realized that there was more to the jerk. She was relatable in the aspect that she wasn’t the typical “gorgeous but doesn’t know it” girl or the damsel in distress. Katy had a firm belief in who she was and she was comfortable in her skin. BUT, of course, she has to be put down by Daemon and ever though he treats her like crap (really, he does), she still think's he's totally hot. I just...no. Obviously, Jennifer L. Armentrout didn't make Katy a Mary Sue and she did stand up for herself occasionally, I wish Katy had more self...respect might be the word. Plus, she was a book blogger so obviously, that was awesome!

Daemon himself won me over. He wasn’t the clichéd jerk-who-acts-horrible-but-is-nice-underneath-his-jerkiness but rather a nice bad boy. While he didn’t always treat Katy nicely, there was a good reasoning behind it. Katy and Daemon’s stubborn personalities and strong headedness created great chemistry that was based more on their respect for each other and while there was a spark in the first time they met, they didn’t fall in love at first sight. And the sexual tension was so thick you could slice it with a knife and I loved it!

Jennifer L. Armentrout’s writing was fast paced and easy to read and enjoyable. While it wasn’t as developed per say, it fit Katy’s voice and made her more likable. I did feel that some of it was repetitive and maybe a use of a thesaurus would have been helpful, though too much would be bad of course.

Overall, Obsidian was a great read with plenty of sexual tension between Katy and Daemon that made you smile and even laugh. The dialogue with biting and funny and snarky and I loved it. Jennifer L. Armentrout has made me a fan of hers with this book and I hope to get book two, Onyx as soon as possible!
Rating:
3/5
Cover Comments: 
Well, Pepe is pretty hot in real life and I do like him on the cover but it all looks too generic. I like the whole green coloring going on but maybe something more? 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS