Monday, July 23, 2012

Classics Re-Done with....Sex

I saw this over at Cuddlebuggery's Buzz Worthy posts and I am not happy.

First, lets look at this list shall we:

Jane Eyre by Char­lotte Bronte and Sierra Cartwright
Pride and Prej­u­dice by Jane Austen and Amy Armstrong
Sher­lock Holmes: A Study in Scar­let by A.C. Doyle and Sarah Marsters
Northanger Abby by Jane Austen and Desiree Holt
Twenty Thou­sand Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne and Marie Sexton

Yes, my dear lovely readers, THOSE AMAZING CLASSICS are going to be re-published with erotic scenes in them Yeah, you heard me. According to Oh No They Didn't, Total E-Bound is
"100% convinced" that there was a market for the racy versions of the 19th century novels by authors Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austen and that the spicing up of the much-loved books will introduce the classics to "a new generation of readers".
Now, I don't mind retellings. Those are really great! I love reading them. But really? Have we REALLY come to the point of putting erotica into classic novels? I was sure the point of these novels was for all the sexual tension WITHOUT the whole sex put in.

Maybe I'm acting childish. Maybe I'm overreacting. I don't know. I'm just not happy about this. Why is this necessary?

According to Claire Siemaszkiewicz, founder of Total-E-Bound Publishing
"We're not rewriting the classics. We're keeping the original prose and the author's voice. We're not changing any of that.

"But we want to enhance the novels by adding the 'missing' scenes for readers to enjoy.
I'm sorry, but if they were not there in the first place, I'm sure it wasn't missing.

These classics, in my opinion, are classics for a reason. Lizzie and Darcy's relationship was talked about because you saw these two people falling in love despite their differences. Their glances, occasional had holding, their discussions were enough for us to believe in their love. I don't need a sexy scene to "enhance" these novels.

I want them to be left along.

What about you all. Will you be reading these new editions?

8 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you! I see no reason to redo classics with erotic scenes! That is just horrible :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitively not! I don't not think that you are being childish at all when you think this shouldn't be done because there are plenty of erotic story lines that they can write and stay away from the classics. I want the left the way they are. What you said was completely true, the glances and the hand holdings say it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean, they're classics for a reason! Just because so many people love Fifty Shades,it doesn't mean you do this to classics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candace's Book BlogJuly 23, 2012 at 9:22 PM

    Hmmmm.... this IS interesting. It just doesn't quite seem right. I mean, keeping everything else the same with weird sex scenes added... yeah. I don't think that's right. However, I might be a little curious how they do it and if you can tell it's not the original authors voice, etc. And I like the sexual tension in the books so I think adding sex will ruin the feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, just no. This is not okay! Darn you 50 Shades of Grey for making this seem okay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree but maybe it's because these books have been a part of my life since I was in elementary school you know? I just wish SOMETHING didn't change for what is "in" right now, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly. Just...NO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My jaw dropped when I heard about it for the first time! Curse you 50 Shades of Gray!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS