Sunday, August 19, 2012

Austen in August: Read Along Questions Part 1

From Misty's site! 
So for those of you who do or don't know, Misty of The Book Rat is hosting an awesome event this August: Austen in August! If you know how much I LOVE Jane Austen, you should know that I am totally going to participate!

This August, the Austen book for the read-along is: PERSUASION! I have read this one before but I love a good excuse to re-read anything by Austen! I wasn't able to answer the read-along questions so here they are now!

Quick getting to know you Qs: 
Was Persuasion the first Austen book you read?
Nope. It was Pride & Prejudice!
Is this the first time you've read Persuasion?
Nope! I've read this one...twice before!
How many other Austen books have you read?
All except for Northanger Abbey and I never finished Emma!
Will you read more of them/reread them?
I already have!

BEGINNING (chapters 1-7)
What are your initial impressions of the story? Do you like the set-up for the world and the conflicts? Did you find any of it hard to understand or relate to?
I actually really loved it! I loved Anne and her strong beliefs and her relationship with Wentworth! I mean, a failed proposal that she completely regrets so many years later? Not hard to understand but kinda hard to relate to. I mean, I've never been in love so all that longing and sadness was a little lost on me. I did get a little bit...annoyed with her family! When a girl really needs some love and support, Anne got...them. Not cool, dude. Not cool.
What are your impressions of the characters so far? Especially in regards to Anne, who is considered quite a bit different from other Austen heroines (besides being the oldest, she's had love and let it go, and now has had years to reflect on that).
I think it's because she's so different from all the other Austen ladies that I love her so much. She's different. For me, she brought something different to the table: sometimes when we have love, we let it go and live to regret it. It's not everyday that this aspect of reality is shown in any book, especially in modern society. But I wish that Anne wasn't so...strict? I'm not sure if it's the right word but she should loosen up a little.
Do you think Anne was right to have yielded to the pressure of those close to her - to have been "persuaded" - not to accept Wentworth's first proposal?
No, I wish she had accepted him. But being the history nerd that I am, I thought back to that time in history. Women really didn't have any choices other than settling down and getting married. Families did have a lot more say in a women's marriage back than than they do today. For a woman to be well off, she did have to be married to a well off man. While I wish she hadn't, sometimes you can't help but be "persuaded," especially in those times.
What do you make of Anne's family (and extended family, including Lady Russell), and her place among them? How do the people in Anne's life treat her, and what was your reaction to that?
Oh, man does my heart go out to her. As I said somewhere above, I felt that she was too strict. But as I read on, I realized that maybe Anne is the way she is because of her family. No matter what we want, our family does influence us. It seems to me that the one person who deserves everything has the bad family. Nagging, money hungry, unhappy are words I'd use to describe Anne. But in the end, Anne gets it all. She wins so I could care less about her family.
Discuss Anne's first few meetings with Wentworth, or Wentworth's entry into the story in general.
HA! Reading Persuaision, if it's taught me anything about 21ste century society and 19th century society is that: when a girl and a boy love each other but their relationship is strained, one will try to make the other jealous and the other will pretend to not care.

So, there you have it! If you haven't already, I think you should participate!
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS