Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Diversify YA Challenge

I've always been a huge advocate for diversity in YA. Different cultures and other races and LGBYT books in YA are very important to have in an ever changing world. While I've always wanted more diversity in books, I have realized that I don't do much outside of speaking and posting about it. How are people to know that I am serious about this when I do nothing to back up my claim? Now, I may have found the answer to my question.

I try to read at least 2 to 3 books a week and I thought "what if I made a goal to read 1 book that was written by an author of color or has a character from another culture?"After reading it, I can post a review and feature the book on my blog.

I'm not so sure about this. Is this offensive to anyone? I guess I should point out that I am Indian and I'm an Asian and all that jazz.

So, we'll see how this goes. Basically, I plan on reading all sorts of YA but at least 1 will be by an author or color or someone who is Asian and LGBYT books too! What I need from all of you wonderful readers are recommendations! Here are some that I know of:
GOAL: Read at least 1 book every week that has some sort of diversity: Characters from around the world, written by authors of color and LGBYT books.

I will start this next week since I am focusing on summer work this week and I'm even going to make a button for this and everything! On my sidebar, you can see that I have a form where you can recommend some books for me to read! I'm looking for anything that has to do with diversity: authors of color, characters of color or from different countries, and LGBYT books!
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS