Monday, August 13, 2012

Review: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Release Date: August 26, 2008 
Publisher: Harper Teen 
Source: Library 
"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More.

Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.
Review: 
**Long review!**
There comes a time in your life when you read a book that leaves you utterly speechless. You have no words to describe how you feel. If anything, you wished you’d have listed to what people had been saying for years: Melina Marchetta is brilliant and Jellicoe Road is amazing. Almost 2 weeks after reading this book, I own it and have read it about 2 times. I can’t get this book out of my head. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta left me astonished, crying, and desperately wanting more.

Where do I start with this review? Let’s start with the plot: in the beginning, this book in confusing. You take a while to figure out what is going on and who is talking. After some time, everything makes sense. Two stories are presented you to simultaneously and it’s all a big mystery. What is going on? Who are these people? These questions were in my mind as I devoured this book in about 2 hours. I even kept a note card so I could figure out who was who and what their connection to Taylor was. Can I just say (without spoiling anything) that the plot for Jellicoe Road will leave you at the edge of your seat, wanting more! After finishing this novel, every single incident will fit into place like a large puzzle and you will be amazed at how Melina Marchetta crafted this novel.

The characters were just as wonderful as the plot was. There are so many layers to our girl Taylor that it took me an entire book to figure her out. I loved being in her head and seeing all the events unfold from her eyes. She was so strong and brave but she was broken too. There were times when I wanted to jump right into the book and give her a big hug. Other times I wanted to slap her. When I figured something out in the book and she didn’t, I wanted to shake her and say “THE ANSWER IS RIGHT THERE! LOOK CLOSER! CLOSER! CLOSER!” Melina Marchetta’s supporting characters are funny and sweet and brilliant. They have their own personalities and histories and you fall in love with every single one of them. The characters in this book break you heart and then mend it and then break it again and stomp on it.

So I loved this book. A lot. So much so that I bought a copy of it the very next day I finished reading it. I am in awe at Melina Marchetta’s writing ability and the way she makes her words flow so well together. I am still wondering how she was able to craft this book’s plot and how it all worked out together. But most of all, I am still surprised at how much I still think about Taylor and Griggs and how invested I got in her characters. So, what is my verdict? READ THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW. RIGHT NOW. Jellicoe Road is fantastic and funny and heart wrenching and astonishing and amazing. It’s one of the best books I’ve ever read.
Rating:
5/5
Cover Comments: 
Surprisingly, I like this cover a lot. There is just something about this cover that screams: JELLICOE ROAD. MELINA MARCHETTA. Even if the title and author name wasn't there, I think I'd be able to spot this cover in any bookstore. One numerous occasions, I've come across this cover and without a second glance, I knew it was Jellioce Road! 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS