Thursday, August 23, 2012

Review: Revived by Cat Patrick

Revived by Cat Patrick 
Release Date: May 8, 2012 
Publisher: Little, Brown  
Source: Publisher 
As a little girl, Daisy Appleby was killed in a school bus crash. Moments after the accident, she was brought back to life.

A secret government agency has developed a drug called Revive that can bring people back from the dead, and Daisy Appleby, a test subject, has been Revived five times in fifteen years. Daisy takes extraordinary risks, knowing that she can beat death, but each new death also means a new name, a new city, and a new life. When she meets Matt McKean, Daisy begins to question the moral implications of Revive, and as she discovers the agency’s true goals, she realizes she’s at the center of something much larger—and more sinister—than she ever imagined.
Review: 
When I first saw the cover for Revived, I was hooked. It’s creepy yet beautiful and very, very intriguing. The summary itself (coming back to life after death?!) got me too and when I had the chance to read this book, I took it. After reading it now, Revived by Cat Patrick was an interesting read. A little slower than what I had expected, it surpassed many of my expectations.

Lets start with the crazy plot. A scientific drug called Revive allows children who die to be revived or brought back to life. Not many people know about Revive since it’s extremely controversial and only a handful of teens have actually taken the drug. When Daisy moves to the new town, she meets Matt and Audrey. She befriends Audrey instantly and beings to have feelings for Matt. I had expected the romance to take over the plot at this point but no, it didn’t. When the truth about Audrey is revealed, Daisy begins to ask questions about Revive: is it right that only healthy people can take it? Why is this? Is this drug right or wrong? I loved it! It was through provoking and while the romance was there, Daisy begins to uncover many secrets about Revive and the plot focuses on that. There were, I admit, twists and surprises that I wasn’t expecting and this kept me reading on and on!

I actually liked Daisy a lot. She’s a strong girl who has gone through a lot and pretty much everything she has ever known begins to unravel when new secrets surface. She is confused and scared and isn’t really sure how to handle the new developments. Plus, her developing relationship with Matt is unfamiliar territory and Daisy often questions how she should handle it all. I also liked that while she changed when she met Matt, it was for the better. She began asking questions which led her to be less blind of everything that was going on around her.

I also liked Cat Patrick’s writing. There was just something about it that really worked well with this story. Like the fist paragraph, I felt that most of the novel was very…detailed and I was able to imagine a lot of it!

Overall, I enjoyed Revived and I was able to read it in one day. It made me think and question a lot of what I know (in a good way) and I began thinking of what science would be able to accomplish in the future. I think people should give this book a try, no matter what your opinions might be.
Rating:
3.5/5
Cover Comments: 
It's creepy. It's beautiful. It's kinda scary too. I love it. 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS